Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,941   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The Caltar lenses have been made by Kodak, Schneider and Rodenstock, depending on the lens and the vintage (well, at least the 14" f6.3 was a copy of the 14" f6.3 Commercial Ektar, if not made by Kodak). You save yourself hundreds of dollars by buying the Caltar label but get the exact same performance you'd get from the brand name lens. What's not to like?
    Ilex, not Kodak. IIRC there were several rebranded Ilexes, from 90mm up. See here - http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/calumet_1.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I didn't know Ilex made lenses - I thought they only made shutters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I didn't know Ilex made lenses - I thought they only made shutters.
    The 90mm Wide-Field Ilex was superb, easily the equal of a Super Angulon. They also made a 215mm/8 1/4' convertible Plasmat that is still highly regarded. The 12" and 14" f:6.3 lenses were very good Tessars (as were the Commercial Ektars). Any Ilex lens I've ever used was a very good lens, I think they're still undervalued.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The 90mm Wide-Field Ilex was superb, easily the equal of a Super Angulon. They also made a 215mm/8 1/4' convertible Plasmat that is still highly regarded. The 12" and 14" f:6.3 lenses were very good Tessars (as were the Commercial Ektars). Any Ilex lens I've ever used was a very good lens, I think they're still undervalued.
    I sold a 90mm f/8 Wide-Field Ilex with an accurate shutter on Ebay a while back. It sold cheap and the buyer was thrilled to get it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm no lens expert but I have learned that there is a lot of quality glass out there for the cheap if you just know what to look for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin