Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,930   Online: 954

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Making a Pano Mask for 4x5 Groundglass

I need to make a 2x5 inch viewing mask for the center of my Toyo 45AII groundglass. It is marked for 6x7 and 6x9 but I am the type that actually needs to block the extra area off so that I cannot see it when composing.

I'm sure I have read threads about this in the past but I cannot seem to find them through search.

If anyone has any suggestions, examples or can point me to one of the old threads I would appreciate it.

-------------------------------------

Backgound: I want to make 2x5 inch contact prints and will just be masking the groundglass for viewing, then exposing the entire sheet of film and cropping when I print. I do not want to buy a roll film holder for various reasons including:
    cost, weight, removing the ground glass in the field, and using zone system processing.

I also do NOT want to use a half darkslide at this time. I used one for 5 years with 8x10 and know the pros and cons as well as how to make and use them. I do not want to go that route for several reasons.
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 09-17-2013 at 02:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nothing fancy, but I've done this with blue painter's tape to mask an 8x10 back down to 5x7. It's simple to put on and easy to take off, and it doesn't leave a residue.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Get a dark colored piece of card stock or black poster board ( about $1 at Target).
    Cut a piece to fit the ground glass or the ground glass opening of the camera.
    Center the precise format opening on the ground glass cover piece and cut out with a straight edge and razor knife.
    Attach to the ground glass/camera with rubber cement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the thoughts fellows! I should mention that I want a mask that is easy to put on and take off. I shoot mostly full frame 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A piece of fogged/unexposed film should work and you may already have a supply..
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    6 x9 version of thin cardboard and magic tape
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grf_69Mask.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Black 1/4 inch (or thinner?) foam core, hinge/attach with velcro. Piece of door skin (1/8 inch thick) in place of foam core. Depending on back design felt or foam rubber on the edges could make it an easy to install/remove pressure fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent ideas, fellows. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    A piece of fogged/unexposed film should work and you may already have a supply..
    Like that idea. For some reason never thought of it!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you happen to have some Pictorico OHP Transparency Film you can print any size outline and/or colored mask with your computer. Cut it out to fit the size of your groundglass. Just lay them in and remove with no need for adhesive or cutting out windows.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin