Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,020   Online: 908

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One advantage of this type of camera over other medium format types is you can use a variety of lenses on it. From old cheap "character" lenses to a modern Apo Sironar S. But for me if I'm going out to use a slow camera needing a tripod I'd rather just use 4x5. The fun part does factor it and everyone should try this type of camera at least once. And the roll film ones make sense for people not setup for 4x5 developing and enlarging. If that is a 105 Ektar in good condition it might be worth around what you are paying for the whole outfit. I'd say 65 Angulons have lost a few steps in price ( I paid $200 for mine a few years back) but it still might be worth $100 in good condition. Any lens problems like glass marks or fungus will drop the prices so check them over using a strong light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I say leave it alone. It comes with a 22 back, which is 6x6. You already have that with your TLR, so you're not buying much functionality that you don't already have. But most important of all, if you have to borrow to get a 150-dollar camera, you have no business buying it. Borrowing money to buy toys is great way to stay broke all your life. Instead, save up enough to buy what you want with cash. Life is a lot easier that way.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    One advantage of this type of camera over other medium format types is you can use a variety of lenses on it. From old cheap "character" lenses to a modern Apo Sironar S.
    But this one's a Crown, not a Speed, so you won't be able to use barrel lenses easily. Finding appropriate working shutters at reasonable prices is kind of a pain, I've found.

The price seems fair, but not "grab it before it gets away". On purely rational, practical grounds, I think I'd say to let it go and wait for a 4x5 kit to turn up...but it's not a lot of money, it's a cool little camera, and if it speaks to you it speaks to you, right? You might find you really go in for contact printing in 6x9; and if all else fails, you could almost certainly come out ahead by just selling the lenses.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat2go View Post
    Measured with calipers in the frame openings just now
    Singer Graflex RH10 58.0 by 67.7
    Older Graflex RH/8 57.4 by 77.7
    1936 Nettar 56.5 by 85.2

The RH/10 is for the 2 x 3 Graflex
    The RH/8 is for the 4 x 5 Graflex
    "23" Graflex (early version that fits 2x3 Graflex and Graflok backs) 57.6 x 82.5

Adapt-a-roll 620, 57.65 x 82.0

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's interesting Dan,
    I read that the RH/8 replaced the 23 Graphlex, and the RH/8 has the added pin rollers to help with the film flatness.
    It looks like those rollers may have reduced the width by 2.5 mm per side.
    Anyway the only "true" 6 x9 in my collection is the Nettar and even it is short, however it does have the 1.5 ratio..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've slept a few times since I measured them last, may be off a few millimeters so
    Graphic 22 for 4x5: 57.25x56.98
    Graphic 23 for 4x5 had pin rollers: 56.95x77.9
    Graphic 22 for 2x3: 57.4x57
    Graphic 23 for 2x3 with pin rollers: 56.9x77.8
    Graphic RH20 for 2x3: 57.2x67.72
    Graflex 22 for 2x3: 57.35x56.87

Original point was roll film holders actual negative (film gate) size is less than the marked format by a few millimeters.

Keep looking, maybe you will find a bigger club to beat me with one of these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You also have the option of finding a few sheet film holders for this. Freestyle has Arista EDU Ultra (Rebadged Foma), and FP4+ and HP5+ in their catalog in this size.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use a 4"x5" camera for 4"x5" film. Use 120 camera for 120 film.

The bulk of a 4"x5" camera will limit the use and convenience of a 120 camera.

I use a 4"x5" camera for 4"x5" film and I use a 120 camera for 120 film.
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 09-19-2013 at 05:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Use a 4"x5" camera for 4"x5" film. Use 120 camera for 120 film.

The bulk of a 4"x5" camera will limit the use and convenience of a 120 camera.

I use a 4"x5" camera for 4"x5" film and I use 120 camera for 120 film.
    I agree. I bought a 6x7 back for my 4x5 Sinar P and 4x5 reduction back on my Wehman. I never use the thing. It's so much easier to just use my Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I agree. I bought a 6x7 back for my 4x5 Sinar P and 4x5 reduction back on my Wehman. I never use the thing. It's so much easier to just use my Hasselblad.
    I use my Hasselblads for serious work. The 4"x5" cameras are for playing around and experimenting.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin