Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,976   Posts: 1,523,650   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking at a Crown Graphic on Craigslist, talk some sense into me.

I am looking at a crown graphic at craigslist, the owner doesn't know much about the camera, I was able to talk him down to 150 bucks. I was judging only by photos, I had the impression of it being a 4x5, but after more research they made a lot of them in the smaller sizes. And i wouldn't know if its a 4x5 for sure until I see it in person.

The camera came with 2 lens, first one I cant see its on a grapic" shutter with caps on, the other one is a Schneider Angulon 65mm 6.8 on a synchrocompur, come with a Graphic 22" roll film holder (120 - 6x6cm). < (all things pointing to a 'baby crown')

Now my question is, if it's not a 4x5, should I get still get it and shoot 120 with that thing?
    Pros: I could probably afford more 120 than 4x5 in reality, I have everything to develop 4x5 with but not a big enough enlarger, or scanner.
    Cons: why on earth I wanna haul that around to shoot 120 when I can just use my TLRs or my 645? ( i know i get the tilt and all with the crown but the effect are not as dramatic as using it on 4x5 film?)

Fire Away, Thank You.
    Last edited by dehk; 09-19-2013 at 12:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you ever shot 6x9cm (you should be able to get a 6x9cm back for a Baby Crown)? I think of it as half way between 6x6cm and 4x5". I think the 6x9cm negative is a significant step above 6x6cm to make it worthwhile. Your 6x4.5cm negatives will seem microscopic 65mm is a really nice wide angle on 6x9cm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 65mm Angulon is not a 100% indicator of format. If you had a link to the photos of the camera, somebody could probably tell you if it's a 4x5, 3-1/4x4-1/4, or 2-1/4x 3-1/4. Sometimes you can tell by the location of the body release: a baby Crown has that at the bottom corner and a 4x5 has it somewhat higher.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    The 65mm Angulon is not a 100% indicator of format. If you had a link to the photos of the camera, somebody could probably tell you if it's a 4x5, 3-1/4x4-1/4, or 2-1/4x 3-1/4. Sometimes you can tell by the location of the body release: a baby Crown has that at the bottom corner and a 4x5 has it somewhat higher.
    Right here http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pho/4076049166.html
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Have you ever shot 6x9cm (you should be able to get a 6x9cm back for a Baby Crown)? I think of it as half way between 6x6cm and 4x5". I think the 6x9cm negative is a significant step above 6x6cm to make it worthwhile. Your 6x4.5cm negatives will seem microscopic 65mm is a really nice wide angle on 6x9cm.
    Yeah I looked up the different backs for it if its a baby crown, I don't see me able to come up the money for it since I already have to borrow some money to get the camera itself.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a 2-1/4x3-1/4 Crown Graphic. The lens shown with the cap on it is almost certainly a 105mm Kodak Ektar in a Flash Supermatic shutter. A 6x6 120 rollfilm back is shown in one photo. The camera has a Groflock back and what looks to be a Kalart Rangfinder.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some people are willing to pay a premium price for a 105mm Ektar.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, That s**ks. Should I still get it? To use it, not too concern about reselling.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen them sell for more. I have also seen them sell for less. The camera looks to be all there but a bit dirty. The are easy to clean up. You may have to give the shutter a CLA and you would be in business. Also from the photo of the camera you could not really tell the condition of the lenses. If it was me, and I was interested, I would offer them $125.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    I have seen them sell for more. I have also seen them sell for less. The camera looks to be all there but a bit dirty. The are easy to clean up. You may have to give the shutter a CLA and you would be in business. Also from the photo of the camera you could not really tell the condition of the lenses. If it was me, and I was interested, I would offer them $125.
    I talked em down from 250 to 150 already, too late for another offer I'd think. I can CLA the whole camera no problem, that won't be an issue. Just trying to think if its worth hauling around to use it. Hey thanks for all the info btw.
    - Derek

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin