Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 696

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    I tested 150 and its macro is not good, and this lens showed me which lenses i want to go with, either shorter or longer than 150, there are some applications i can use 150 for, but mostly what i do will go either with shorter wider lenses or longer.
    What I'm saying is that if you go longer you may have trouble getting enough bellows extension for macro use, especially on a Graphic.

Have you tried the Super Angulon at macro distances? I've seen samples of the f/8 SA used as a macro lens (it doesn't seem to be especially good at it), but not the XL version.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I knew a photographer who used to use a 90mm on a Speed Graphic as a macro frequently. He was very pleased with his results in general - I don't recall which 90mm he was using in particular, though.

If you want a great macro lens for 4x5, the Nikon Apo-Macro 120mm is about as good as it gets. At macro range, it covers 5x7. It also will do at least 2:1 macro (2x lifesize), maybe more. Getting beyond 2:1 macro with large format is probably a bad idea given how shallow the depth of field is at that range - it will be almost impossible to focus correctly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its ok, i put 2 lenses for macro to choose between, 120 and 180, i am not in rush now for a macro lens, my Shen Hao bellow extension maximum goes up to 360mm, so i will be at the maximum limit, but i am planning one day in the future to buy an Ebony 4x5 camera and the one i look at has almost everything i want or look for, even the bellow extension is longer [445mm], so i m thinking about future purchase too.

For now i can use my 150mm as macro lens, it is fine, just i don't like this lens for landscapes or indoors architecture, but for normal portraits half body or few close up it is not bad, i got it as a kit lens with the camera, so it is not a waste, i just try slowly to increase my lenses collection for LF, 72XL was my dream and i got it, 90 and 210 are my another dream lenses, but i was planning to have to sides or rows or lines of lenses, one row or line for my Shen Hao or future Ebony and another line for my Speed/Graphic cameras, i don't like to change between the boards as i said, and because that Graphic is limited by movement so i will keep it for few applications and i will buy separate lenses for it, mostly i was thinking to have that category between the two:

A. Shen Hao/Ebony: 72XL, 150mm, 90XL, 210 Symmar, a macro lens, and maybe 300

B. Speed/Crown Graphic: Optar 162mm and very soon i will receive 135 Optar too [both Wollensack], 240 or 250, something else maybe 105 or longer than 250 not sure

What do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Start shooting and take a break from buying. Hands on use is important.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For macro, get a proper Apo Macro lens, probably around 120mm. It will cost you though, and a lot. There's a recent thread on macro on the LFPF forum. Consider also using (reversed) enlarger lenses if a shutter is not necessary for your purposes.

For a longer portrait lens, consider:
    - a 210mm is not really long enough for me, though they tend to be fairly small and light and you can get good magnification even with shortish bellows
    - a 240mm plasmat (e.g. Symmar-S) is huge+heavy in a Copal #3. Needs more bellows.
    - a telephoto lens will be small, light and not need much bellows, but it will be quite slow (f/9?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great, thanks, i will have time now to read and decide on which lens to get lens, and while i have my time to read and decide i will use my current lenses ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, you are "Professional" from LFF....I like this screen name better, the other one seems odd to have on a photo forum....
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Ah, you are "Professional" from LFF....I like this screen name better, the other one seems odd to have on a photo forum....
    Doesn't matter what name i choose, it is better than very unknown or mysterious name or even funny, professional not necessary about profession, it could be professional gear which i already have and happy about it

And maybe one day i hope to reach that level too with my skill

Thanks anyway!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did some experimenting with a 90/8 Super Angulon (not an XL) as a macro lens on a Speed Graphic, and it actually performed pretty well---the attachment is a quick-and-dirty negative scan because I haven't had time to do a wet print yet. I think you should give that 90XL a try in the macro role.

-NT

Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I did some experimenting with a 90/8 Super Angulon (not an XL) as a macro lens on a Speed Graphic, and it actually performed pretty well---the attachment is a quick-and-dirty negative scan because I haven't had time to do a wet print yet. I think you should give that 90XL a try in the macro role.

-NT

Thank you very much!

Well, i don't have 90XL yet, i have 72XL, but i tested my 150mm as Macro and it is not bad, doing good job, so i am not in rush for a dedicated macro lens or 1:1, also if i will buy 90XL one day then i will try it for macro too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin