Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,780   Online: 1034

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    d) far fewer dust problems with 120
    e) much easier and less time consuming to load film, film can be loaded anywhere without a changing bag or the dust problems that go with loading holders in one
    f) film selection - want to shoot Portra 800 or Delta 3200 or Pan F+ or many other films not available in sheets in your view camera? You can do it with a rf back.
    +1

Also, I only use 6x12 roll film backs and just *love* the format for landscapes, makes for a really fun way to look at scenes in using it along with the aspect ratio of 4x5. When I am out working on a project at the local ski areas, I have to go light and using 6 cut film holders plus a 6x12 roll film back keeps me in the game by being able to reload without a loading tent. If some extraordinary light hits a scene and I am close to if not out of 4x5 film...I can and will most certainly find a way to get a nice shot with 6x12.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Toyo 6x7 roll film holder on a toyo-field camera. The reasons are: 1. my 4x5 lenses and shutters are better than my medium format gear. 2. movements. 3. a film holder is lighter than a medium format camera with it's lenses and backs. 4. the relatively cheap cost per shot of 120 roll allows for more experimentation (This might not be of great importance for those who have been using movements for decades, but for me it is important).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great reasons everyone!

What's interesting is the variety of reasons people are using them - its not any one big reason, and lots of ones that I would never have thought of.

Can I ask another question: Did you all buy a roll back with the specific use you have cited in mind, or did you buy one (eg through GAS) and then fell into using it in that way?

Fran

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I don't actually use one, at the moment I just shoot the 4x5s. I am, however saving for a 6x12 back and will use that as described above (for colour etc). Paying $4/sheet is not really where I want to be...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think I bought my first rollfilm back mainly with the idea of having the option to use camera movements with medium format, but then other uses (like shooting rangefinder press camera style without dealing with filmholders) came along.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I purchase several sizes of roll film backs over the years though mainly use 6x9 or 6x7, rarely 6x6. I use whenever I want a larger format negative (anything larger than 35mm) but donít need 4x5, and shooting multiple shot close together and/or traveling and want to be on the light side.

Also, I choose if I donít need a smaller camera or the smaller camera doesnít have the capabilities that a press or view camera.

Large negatives are a dream to work with, which for me can be 6x6 to 4x5 in the darkroom. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fran, no GAS, I had decided I was going to get a 6x12 back about the same time I decided to get a 4x5. I find 4x5 and 6x12 together in the filed to be incredibly versatile and productive, the latter I need most.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought my 4x5 in the mid 90s and shot that and 35mm. I put film away for several years. As soon as I got back into it and saw the price and limited availability of 4x5 color sheet film I bought a rollfilm back for affordable color, then realized I had other reasons to use it as well.

When I did catalog work a dozen years ago, the shooters in the studio would use roll film on 4x5 for shots that didn't require much enlargement. You had the capacity to put 3 or 4 shots on a roll with a small bracket to make sure your exposures were right, and you had the advantage of view camera movements. It saved a lot of money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a roll film back on my 4x5 when experimenting with many different set ups for still life work. It's rather expensive to just play with ideas on sheet after sheet of 4x5 film.
    YMMV
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin