Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,003   Online: 1196

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    When I did catalog work a dozen years ago, the shooters in the studio would use roll film on 4x5 for shots that didn't require much enlargement. You had the capacity to put 3 or 4 shots on a roll with a small bracket to make sure your exposures were right, and you had the advantage of view camera movements. It saved a lot of money.
    A 6x7 back on a Linhof STIV was my setup for product photography in the 80s and early 90s, it served me very well. Need a bigger transparency? just change backs. The customers appreciated the savings on materials charges, and for stuff printed in a magazine, even 6x7 is overkill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Hi all,

I have a question - something that's puzzled me and I must be missing something. Nearly anyone who has a 5x4 camera more than likely has a 5x4 enlarger, right? (or at least is trying to find one!). Roll film backs come in a variety of formats/sizes and invariably cost ~$100 upwards. 8 shots to a roll of 120 probably $5 a roll, so ~65c a shot. 5x4 costs twice that per sheet, but overall cost is still low.

Why would someone not just use 5x4 film, and crop it to the size? If you only had a 6x9 enlarger etc I could understand it....

What am I missing?

Fran
    Nothing. You got it right.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin