Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,978   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Glassplate holder to sheet film

I've bought 3 holders for my 6.5x9 cm Avus. They are for glass plates and one of them has a plate in it. (Too bad I didn't know about, took it out in light.)
    I know adapters exist to use these holders with sheet film. Never seen such an adapter in flesh, so maybe my next question is silly.

Would it work if I get the existing plate to a glass shop and let them cut two other such glass plates from glass of the same thicknes? I could, I hope so, fit the film above this plate in the holder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that would work. At 6.5x9, it may also actually be possible to use a sheet of film directly without a septum, letting the springy bits that apply pressure to the plate hold the film in place. The film might be rigid enough to support itself in a flat condition.

The glass doesn't actually need to be of precise thickness; those springs and the front lip of the holder should hold its front surface in the right place. However, you'll need to figure out how to make sure the film stays in place on the surface of the glass.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    They do exist. These photos are from a current Eb@y auction (261275781372).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6x9 Film Sheath.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	74810

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6x9 Film Sheath2.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	74809

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can in the mean time adhere a piece of film to the plate with some water soluble sticky stuff. I've used a tiny dab of honey. Work on getting some film sheaths.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugen Mezei View Post
    Would it work if I get the existing plate to a glass shop and let them cut two other such glass plates from glass of the same thicknes? I could, I hope so, fit the film above this plate in the holder.
    You may struggle to find anyone that stocks glass that thin. I have a vintage plate camera and the holders have been "adapted" to use sheet film. The adaptor is nothing more than a sheet of melamine type material painted matt black on one side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW an interesting trick I recently discovered in a film holder I got off the auction site. Inside was an overexposed negative of a WWII soldier with a smaller format of sheet film held in place by 4 little slits in the negative. The larger sheet as a sort of album page. A slit in each corner alla photo corners to tuck the corners of the smaller film into. A clever work around if you run short of the right format of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How did they cut the slits in the glass negative?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could also use stiff cardboard instead of glass. If not off the right color, use a sheet of black paper as well.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    I have made up my own film sheaths using thin aluminum (0.15 inch). I turned the sides with tinners pliers, against a steel plate. Then inserted a thin sheet metal plate, the size of the negative and finished bending over the sides. The completed sheaths were painted flat black and worked fine. Perhaps a solution for you, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Thornton Pickard half plate camera that I used with sheet film and the original wooden dark slides. The spacer was made from mounting board sized (sealed) with cellulose lacquer to stop any dust. The thickness of the spacer only becomes critical if you are using a very fast lens, but they are very rare in LF. I mostly used f/64 anyway so they were always sharp.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin