Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,432   Online: 993

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Compur jammed at 1 sec!

Today I made the move to LF and managed to jam a Compur / F. Deckel Munchen at 1/2 sec. while checking the shutter speeds (which were fine until I got to 1 sec.) Lens is a 13.5cm 4.5 Meyer Gorlitz, in excellent shape. It looks like this was a shooter because everything is like new or in excellent shape.

I can only go from 1 sec to 100 now and its notchy at 1/25th

Wat do?
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View, made in USA! New project
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Go to : http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...raflex_11.html and read manual pages 6 through 9 then go to http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...raflex_12.html and read manual pages 6 through 12.
    An early Compur that I serviced has a time delay in place of a press to focus. With the lever tab next to the speed dial is normal operation, pressed toward the rear of the shutter is full delay. It should not be in between the two extremes.

Speeds above 1/100 are acieved by a booster spring that is compressed when the speed dial is turned to those speeds. It is normal for the speed dial to be harder to turn to the speeds above 1/100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't seem to have the time delay.

It goes to 1/200, well it's supposed to. I'm pretty sure it's jammed somehow. I can't set it to B or T and the cocking lever is all the way to the right, but I can't trip the shutter
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well that was weird, it literally just now fixed itself.

I guess ill be staying away from anything below 1/5th, I can use a cable and bulb for those. Back to normal, yay!
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lubrication is dry, very common. Many suggest swamping with lighter fuel to clean, I prefer a few drops of IPA (not India Pale Ale) Iso-prophyl alcohol. It works extremely well on old shutters. I've revived countless Compurs that way and they all work fine many years later.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah we got some in syringes at work, I'll bring it in and do it on break
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ian,do you take the shutter apart or is there a secret hole to put the drops in and make it easy for morons like me?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    Ian,do you take the shutter apart or is there a secret hole to put the drops in and make it easy for morons like me?
    Well, about 45 minutes ago, I just poured in a capful of 99% isopropyl and worked the controls and kept blowing until everything was pretty dry, and now I'm testing much better accuracy on my Compur than last night. Of course, there's probably some wetness still down in there providing a certain amount of lube (for the time being). No telling what my testing might show on it in a week. I hardly expect a permanent miracle. See my thread on the subject I started last night on shutter testing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Remove the lens cells. Put the shutter in a jar slightly larger in diameter than the shutter. Pour in enough alcohol to just cover the shutter. Soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Remove and operate at 1 second to 1/100 second. Return to the alcohol for an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the alcohol, drain thoroughly and allow to dry over night. Test again.
    OR
    send it to me for a CLA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    Depends. if the shutter's just slightly sticky I remove the lens cells and use no more than a capfull of alcohol, I run it in on the edge of the shutter blades, then work the shutter at a faster speed to free up the lubrication, then I use a hair drier to gently dry the shutter, making sure the shutter blades and aperture diaphragm are free of any oil/grease.

If very bad I'll open for a proper clean, and then re-lube the relevant areas.

In the worst case scenarios I've twice had to use WD40 to help remove corrosion including rust on the shutter blades, definitely not recommended normally, but both shutters were completely non functional and a commercial CLA would have been far more that their worth. They were partly dis-assembled thoroughly cleaned to remove every trace of the WD40, then re-assembled lubricated and tested.

Should add though that these weren't Compur's, one was a Velosto (Optimo) and the other a Vario. I've also had to use quite aggressive cleaning on Luc type front mounting shutters but these are easy to completely dis-assemble.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin