Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,434   Online: 832

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trinities...
    Celery, peppers, onions...
    Scotch, Bourbon, beer...
    Scotland, New Zealand, Montana...

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    110mm super symmar xl, 180mm Nikon W, 300mm Nikon M is what I like and am currently using. I spent less than $350 on each of them.
    I find it hard to believe that you bought the 110mm for "…less than $350…"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    I find it hard to believe that you bought the 110mm for "…less than $350…"
    You are right, I just dug out the receipt and I actually paid $355. I guess my memory is off a bit.

The coating on the outer edge of the inner element on the front group has a scuff like the aperture blades touched the glass. It's covered up by the time the lens is closed down to f/11. I think this scared most buyers away. Even wide open I see no issues in the few images I have shot this way. But I almost always stop down to f/11 or more, so I'm very happy with the deal.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    A 210, a 210, and a 210.

That's what I've got anyway.

That's my collection for 5x7 (a very sharp Computar Symmetrigon 210/f6.3). But my 5x7 use is not very high these days as I tend to grab the 8x10 for most of my work, and the 11x14 when I am feeling crazed. Backpacking tends to call for the Rolleiflex, or the 4x5 if I am feeling brave. So the 5x7 just sits there, waiting patiently. I do have a 159mm/f12.5 that is suppose to cover 8x10, but refuses to do so sharply or cover the corners brightly, so that may be introduced to the 5x7 when it sees some daylight. Do not feel the need to go longer.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    75mm SA XL, 90mm SA, 120mm Angulon, 165mm Angulon, 210mm Xenar, 360mm Symmar, and a good casket set for when you need 750mm.

Or just a casket set.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    90mm f6.8 Rodenstock Grandagon will cover 5x7 with limited movements. Any 210-240mm will make a nice "normal" lens for 5x7. I have a Sinar Sinaron 210 f5.6 plasmat, and I also have a 240mm Heliar f4.5 for when I want to do portraiture. A 12" Commercial Ektar makes a good longer lens for 5x7 - the 14", while beautiful, is in an Ilex #5 shutter and is just too big for the front standard of most 5x7 field cameras.

regarding Vaughn's comments on the 159mm f12.5 Wollensak - I think there was significant sample-to-sample variation in those lenses - I have one with the purple "WoCoated" mark on the front ring, and it covers 5x12 with perceptible but not objectionable sharpness loss at the corners stopped down to f22.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    ...regarding Vaughn's comments on the 159mm f12.5 Wollensak - I think there was significant sample-to-sample variation in those lenses - I have one with the purple "WoCoated" mark on the front ring, and it covers 5x12 with perceptible but not objectionable sharpness loss at the corners stopped down to f22.
    I think I got one of the lazy Wollensaks (with the "WoCoated" symbol, also)...it just does not want to do the heavy lifting.

But I do like an image I got from it:

Scanned 8x10 platinum print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Boys, Prairie Creek Redwoods_8x10P.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin