Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,828   Online: 817

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is the Holy Trinity for 5x7?

The best 3-lens combo for LF? I got a Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 13.5cm 4,5 which looks lovely through the ground glass. Was looking at the Schneider Super Angulon 65 or 90. Whatever ultra-wide I get I want minimum f/64 and the 90 does that. I would need a standard and a tele for portraits.

I planned on spending 200-300 each lens/shutter combo. What's this I hear about Petzval glass? Does it cover 5x7? (probably a dumb question I know)

I jumped headfirst into large format coming from a primarily 135 background with some 645 and 36x24 d*****l so I got a bunch of questions
    Last edited by j-dogg; 09-30-2013 at 08:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, that depends, I would probably start with a similar focal length to what you would normally use in 35mm. So if you like the 50mm lens, which is normal, then the equivalent lens in 5x7 would be a 210 mm.

I do not know if the super-angulons will cover the 5x7 format, you will need to check the image circle specs, you will need an image circle of at least 210 mm, to avoid vignetting.

Also as you move into the longer focal length lenses, you will also need to consider if you will have enough bellows draw on the camera to focus at you normal working distances. Probably something in the 300 - 360 mm focal length may be usable for portraiture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    120, 210, 300. That Trioplan will be strained to cover 4x5, I believe it was meant for 9x12cm. For 120 you can find an Angulon pretty reasonably, 210 Plasmats are cheap, 300mm Plasmats might strain your camera fatally so look for a slower process type lens or one of the f:6.3 Tessar types. A 300mm Dagor is a nice small lens. So is a 210 Dagor, and an Angulon is a "reverse" Dagor - if you're patient you can find uncoated Dagors at very good prices.
    When looking for lenses at a good price, chance favors the prepared mind - so educate yourself as to lens types, their coverage, and the various names they are sold under

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't believe in Holy lenses. There are many sets that work well for different people. I like more modern lenses for general use. 110mm super symmar xl, 180mm Nikon W, 300mm Nikon M is what I like and am currently using. I spent less than $350 on each of them. The super symmar is only marked for f/45, but goes about 2/3 of a stop more than that.

I like to space the lenses around an approximate 1.5 multiplier. I start with a lens with the equivalent filed of view of a 35mm lens in 35mm. This is roughly a 180mm for 5x7. So ideally I would have a 120mm and a 270mm, but it's close enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 210, a 210, and a 210.

That's what I've got anyway.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    A 210, a 210, and a 210.

That's what I've got anyway.
    You're doing tricolor separations then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Trioplan could be a nice lens on a smaller format. I have a 210 and use it for 4x5. It's a smooth bokeh-licious lens rather than a sharp lens.

For portraits, the Kodak 305 portrait was made for 5x7. It's sharp stopped down, and soft wide open. But it's focus is different that what's visible. It's a bit of a cult lens and won't be in your price range.

A Kodak Ektar/Commercial Ektar would be a generally nice general purpose tessar to own.

For wide, you won't get something really nice for that price range. I have a Nikkor 90/4.5 SW and it's very nice. Some 90/8's are available but probably need work or might not have coverage.

Petzval coverage is pretty subjective; we use them for wider coverage than they were designed for, because people like swirl. The cheapest petzvals won't have an aperture, since they were made for projection.

Another option for old inexpensive lenses is a rapid rectilinear, which is simple and small and good and will be in your price range. I bought a Bausch & Lomb one with a good working shutter for <$100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You're doing tricolor separations then?
    That's correct. I just like the 210 focal length, and never really bothered to look beyond it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    thomas is right...get one lens and learn to use it...you would be really suprised how well one can do to take that mantra seriously
    have a great day everyone!!
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    thomas is right...get one lens and learn to use it...you would be really suprised how well one can do to take that mantra seriouslyhave a great day everyone!!
    Truer words were never spoken. I'll add, stick with one film and one developer as well. This is about as different from miniature and medium formats as can be.
    But the OP did ask for the Holy Trinity... Dagors, of course.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin