Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,202   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mounting lenses on a Speed Graphic. Why is this hard???

I've got a Speed Graphic. I've got a bunch of random lenses, so I ordered lensboards to suit.

First fun problem: The 10" Tele-Optar, which on casual inspection appears to be sized for a #1 hole, *isn't*; it's about a freakin' MILLIMETER too big to go through. So I've got this nice lens, historically correct, distance scale for it already on the camera, but after a week of trying, I still can't mount it. What was done with these historically? Are there lensboards with a 45mm hole instead of the usual 43mm, and if so, why can't I find them? Or were they always mounted in shutters?

All right, so as it happens, I have a couple of brass lenses that front-mount conveniently in an Ilex #3 shutter, and I have an electronic Ilex #3 sitting around that isn't a useful shutter (it can't be triggered manually, except for the preview lever) but works fine as a holder for a barrel lens. The good news is that the shutter fit nicely in a #3 lens board, and after some farcical switching around of flanges from one shutter to another, I got it actually mounted. Trouble is, the shutter body is so big that I can't mount it on the camera; it collides with the little arm at the end of the linkage from the body shutter release!

Well, there are #3 lensboards for Graphics, so I can't be the only one who ever tried to do this. Is there a trick to release the shutter arm so it gets out of the way? (And while you might say "just mount the barrel lenses directly", and you'd have a point, I don't have flanges for them and I don't have lensboards sized for them, so I'd have to find more parts, and I bet you anything those parts wouldn't fit together as expected either! The Ilex is actually a sort of convenient lens adapter in some respects.)

My current plan is to have a fit of frustration, jump up and down a few times, then spend money I don't have buying lenses I don't need. That's a good solution, right? :-) But seriously, where do I find the odd-sized lensboards for the Tele-Optar, and how do I keep the shutter release from getting in the way of things?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Creativity. If you're determined to make assorted frivolous lenses adapt, then the first thing is to forget about buying lensboards. Just fabricate. Get some hobby plywood of proper thickness, cut it with T-squares, rulers, Stanley Knives or hobby saws. Use adjustable brace-and-bit for hole boring, files, sandpaper, and whatever creative implement you can find. Don't cut yourself.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Is this a pacemaker speed with the metal lensboards? The arm is held to the shaft by a little screw - just loosen it and either pull the arm forward and out of the way or slide it off the shaft. I buy boards, undrilled, from heavystar on ebay, and drill them with one of these. You can also spend a lot of money and get a universal iris.

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    nt, Not sure what your difficulty is exactly but I agree with Tom.
    Here is a lens that is almost as big in diameter as the lens board, with the shutter release in its original position but out of action
    The rear focal plane shutter is used. The lens board is of laminated aluminum, machined in a lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P67_55_Hood.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not hard, it's a challenge.
    challenge #1: if you have a 1/2 round file it's easy, insert file and rotate the file against the sides of the hole. The file will cut sideways.
    You could use the push-pull technique if you sandwich the board with some sort of ply or the like.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    What you do is get a tapered or conical-shaped table-leg, or vacuum-cleaner attachment, or pipe-fitting; whatever, and wrap it in emery cloth or sandpaper depending upon what you made the lensboard out of, and rotate it in the hole you bored slightly undersize, and worm it out like that, round and round, not back and forth. Might have to throw a half-round file into the mix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a small casket set set up for a Speed/Crown Graphic. Easy as pie with a store-bought crust.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I didn't know about those little circle cutters---I've been assuming that without metal-shop tools we couldn't cut metal lensboards in reasonable safety. (Wood is easy, but wouldn't hold up to being cut as thin as the little rolled lip on a Pacemaker boards.) I don't know why it didn't occur to me that the release arm was removable!

I think mostly I just needed to vent after a frustrating succession of "looks like it should work but it doesn't" moments.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Planning is an acquired art.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To use that trepanning circle cutter you are going to need a heavy duty machine that can run at slow speed, with a rigid table .
    I have one of those cutters here but I can't use it.
    Here is how i do it in the lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make_Computar_Board1.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin