Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,783   Posts: 1,671,266   Online: 1006

Shooter
    35mm

Toyo 8x10 sturdy enough for 12" Portrait Ektar?

Hi, I'm looking for an 8x10 to do mostly waist up vertical portraits using a Kodak 12" Portrait Ektar mounted in a large Acme shutter (iirc Acme #3?). The lens is pretty substantial. I've been keeping my eyes open for a Gandolfi 8x10, but a nice Toyo 8x10 GII just crossed my path, and I'm looking for feedback on using that camera with largish lenses. The front standard appears pretty solid, but seems a little on the edge for larger lenses. I should add, that any camera I buy, I would like to be able to collapse sufficiently to get through carry-on on regional flights, maybe under the seat. Then, the holders and lens would go in a shoulder bag; tripod in checked bag. The Toyo is very compact when taken apart, which is why I'm considering it, plus it's just a nice camera to use.

Suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's really not that huge a lens. If you can make a lens fit on the lensboard, use it. You might even want a slightly longer lens.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Getting it all into a carry-on won't be an issue, but you might run into a weight limit conflict if that second bag over your shoulder strategy
    doesn't pass muster. You might need a Plan B for the tripod too - I sure wouldn't risk anything like that being checked in nowadays. Theft from
    checked-in baggage is getting pretty bad in some airports. The last time I did check in a tripod, it was a spare big heavy clunker wooden one, not anything cool-looking to tempt them. Now for flights, I opt for a carbon fiber tripod which will actually collapse into the carry-on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last time I checked a tripod on a flight, it was a cheap surveying tripod. It didn't make it through a connecting flight with me. The workshop was over and I was gone before the tripod was delivered.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A lot of your 12" (305mm) Kodak Portrait lenses were mounted in Ilex #5 shutters which are huge shutters. Your Acme shutter may be similar in size. I use a 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar in an Ilex #5 on my Wehman 8x10 field camera with no problems. I wouldn't think you would have any problems using your Kodak Portrait on an 8x10 Toyo monorail.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Toyo G's are pretty heavy, not my idea of an ideal 8x10 carry-on. But Toyo does use a big lensboard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Toyo810G which is 2 lbs lighter (17 vs 19) than the newer GII – it doesn’t have the fancy knobs that the GII has – and have found no problems with attaching a 360mm Schneider Symmar-S which weighs 1545 gms (3.4 lbs). Of course the camera requires a substantial tripod and head – mine is a Series 5 Gitzo and head. It does collapse without the rail attached but still occupies a rather large diameter which may or may not fit under the seat or in the overhead.

Thomas

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin