Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,608   Online: 768

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone with experince of Angulon 210/6.8?

I like the old Angulon 6.8 lenses. Nice images and small size and I'm using 90, 120 and 165 since before. Now I've bought not one but two (mistakes happen) 210/6.8 without shutters. Mounting one of them into a shutter will be an expensive affair (I was looking at the price list at S K Grimes) so I'm trying to see if it will be worth the cost. The main problem for me is that I get different numbers for the coverage. One site lists them at 362mm at f22 and an old Schneider catalogue claims that they cover 12"x15" at f22 (480mm) which is a quite different coverage.
    Anyone out there with an actual experience of using one of these on 8x10?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It will cover 8x10 with some - not a lot- of movement. The specified coverage of Angulons, like their close relative the Dagor, is open to interpretation. An IC of 480mm is probably extremely optimistic, but may work out for contact prints. Your best bet is to try it out. I'd test both of your examples; there is an innermost element of each cell that is supported by the balsam only and if the lens has been stored on it's side in a warm environment for an extended period of time it's possible for this element to shift.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the advice. Both lenses seem to be in good condition but since they are without shutter, or any means of mounting them on a camera right now I cannot test them. An IC of 480mm does seem like a lot, but the figure is from a Schneider catalogue (I can dream).
    If the attempt to attach a photo to this post there is a picture of one of them (they are both the same). I would like to use one of them but I'm trying to motivate the rather high cost of putting it in a shutter. If the IC is below 400 it is not enough to replace my current 210.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angulon210.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	75250

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ole Tjugens is probaly the Angulon expert, he has more experience with diffeternt vintages of that lens than I do.

You can almost certainly find one already mounted in a shutter for less than it will cost to mount one of yours, they are not uncommon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Per Schneider (see https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...6,8-210mm.html ) the 210/6.8 Angulon's cells are direct fits in a #3 tube 7 shutter. I think this means a Compound. The next larger size is a Compur/Copal #3, then a Compound #4. See http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/pratique..._centraux.html

Have you asked Skgrimes for an estimate? I ask because if you can find the right shutter the only additional expense will be the correct scale for the aperture, and having an aperture scaled isn't very expensive. The big expense will be the shutter. Finding one will be a large headache.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Anyone out there with an actual experience of using one of these on 8x10?
    I used a Angulon 210mm and was quite excited to find a perfect specimen mounted on a Copal 3. However, after a few years of use on 8x10 film, I did change over to the 80 degree Fujinon 210mm. The Angulon was always noticeably blurry at the corners when enlarged to 16x20. The Fujinon 210mm is much, much sharper in the corners and has plenty of room for movements on a field camera. My impression is that the Angulon 210mm is more for the 'contact printing' crowd.

I did a lot of testing with the 210mm Angulon and found the blurry corners were caused by a concave field of focus. I experimented with lens spacing ,but the best compromise for landscape was obtained using the lens spacing specified by Schneider (48mm overall length).

Name:	mounting8.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	75260
    Last edited by ic-racer; 10-07-2013 at 10:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Are you sure that the 480mm IC was for the Angulon, and not the Super Angulon?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all. I have checked with S K Grimes but a shutter is +$1100 and that is just the shutter and postage and work is extra. That is unfortunately right out for the moment.
    ic-racer, what you say is interesting. The 210 I'm using right now is a Fuji 210/5.6W and that has a little too small IC so that is why I'm looking for another lens. Maybe I should stick with this one (but I do like the Angulons)
    LJH, It is not the Super Angulon but the standard Angulon. The IC can be found at Camera eccentric in a catalogue from 1934 (no super angulons available yet), but I must say that I'm a bit suspicious of the coverage.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    The 210 I'm using right now is a Fuji 210/5.6W and that has a little too small IC so that is why I'm looking for another lens. Maybe I should stick with this one (but I do like the Angulons)
    What about an 8 1/4" Dagor? These are often on shutters, and EASILY cover 8x10.

The IC can be found at Camera eccentric in a catalogue from 1934 (no super angulons available yet), but I must say that I'm a bit suspicious of the coverage.
    +1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 210 I'm using right now is a Fuji 210/5.6W and that has a little too small

I think the next step up from the Fujinon 210 would be either the Super Symmar XL or Super Angulon. The Super Symmar HM is an 80 degree lens like the Fujinon and would not provide additional coverage.

The 'light' circle projected by the Angulon is indeed very large. The corners are just clipping with my camera like this. However, the sides of the bellows show, so, without a bag bellows, the camera is not usable in such extreme conditions. Are you using a monorail 8x10 or do you have a bag bellows?

Name:	mounting7.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	75274
    Last edited by ic-racer; 10-07-2013 at 06:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin