Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,194   Online: 1198

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I posted it in the spirit that most Speeds and Crowns were fitted with Wollensak style rim-set shutters. Perhaps the moderators will see fit to just remove the dmn thread.
    Edit I'm talking about these America-made shutters with dials made out of chrome-plated cheap soft brass, and you guys are throwing German-made Compurs at me to dispel the advice. Are we going to compare a Sherman tank to a Tiger tank too? Because there again, the Tiger can blow up dozens of American tanks without getting more than a dent. It's about the same analogy.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 10-08-2013 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the spirit may have been well-intentioned but your information is speculative and incorrect. If you want the thread removed you can always ask a mod to do so and they seem to generally comply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Edit I'm talking about these America-made shutters with dials made out of chrome-plated cheap soft brass, and you guys are throwing German-made Compurs at me to dispel the advice.
    The manual for that "America-made" shutter dispelled the advice, not "you guys throwing German-made Compurs".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Moderators, please remove the thread. It has attracted a heckler. Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a heckler. You are being to sensitive. It has attracted someone who has additional knowledge to add to the discussion. This is a discussion forum after all, and discussion often involved diversity of opinion and fact. If that offend you, well...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, and at the risk of offending anyone any more than already and unintentionally done... the slots in the speed ring (cam assembly) of a Graphex shutter are designed to be greased, as stated in the Graphex repair manual. Friction wear of any magnitude is unlikely if shutter is properly overhauled/maintained. This is not my opinion, it is documented in Fig 14 of the repair manual (and just happens to be consistent with that of German-made Compur shutters).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Unequivocally is a mighty strong word.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pardon me for being testy today Brian. I stayed up till nearly 3 in the morning like a fool, peening on this stupid cam to get my shutter speeds up. It was a mess. Not only was it worn out, but some boob had been filing on it. Either that, or it was plain slap worn out. Look at all the peening I had to do to get the speeds up (in the most-used ranges of 50-100). It was evidence enough for me to inspire the post. Look at this mess. But I finally got the speeds up to par.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shutter ring back.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Having serviced Graphex, Supermatic, Compur shutters the major cause for wear that results in a speed dial that has to be swedged to get the speeds correct is heavy use or running them until the stop working. The shutters that I have serviced that were run until they stopped working or were so far off that compensating was difficult were the ones that needed the most swedging to get correct. They were the ones that had broken parts. They are the ones that the speeds were all over the place requiring the most tweaking of a single speed or two to get them all within tolerance. The heavy wear shutters were consistent across the speed range and easier to adjust once cleaned and correctly lubed. All rim set shutters weather made by US or them other countries are similar in operation and mechanical make up. The pins, posts and levers that contact the main dial are all spring tensioned. In the uncocked state there is no tension applied to them so they put little pressure on the main dial which results in the dial being easier to turn than it is when the shutter is cocked.

Then there are those self cocking "press" shutters that are always in the cocked state until tripped.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Having serviced Graphex, Supermatic, Compur shutters the major cause for wear that results in a speed dial that has to be swedged to get the speeds correct is heavy use or running them until the stop working. The shutters that I have serviced that were run until they stopped working or were so far off that compensating was difficult were the ones that needed the most swedging to get correct. They were the ones that had broken parts. They are the ones that the speeds were all over the place requiring the most tweaking of a single speed or two to get them all within tolerance. The heavy wear shutters were consistent across the speed range and easier to adjust once cleaned and correctly lubed. All rim set shutters weather made by US or them other countries are similar in operation and mechanical make up. The pins, posts and levers that contact the main dial are all spring tensioned. In the uncocked state there is no tension applied to them so they put little pressure on the main dial which results in the dial being easier to turn than it is when the shutter is cocked.

Then there are those self cocking "press" shutters that are always in the cocked state until tripped.
    That was interesting. I have a question. Being as this is apparently just chrome plated brass what would be your opinion of adding metal through soldering or with a small torch? While it may be destructive to the chroming, metal added could be possibly a way to renew the dial plate damaged through wear and excessive peening? Although absurd in the amount of trouble, could adding metal be feasible?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin