Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,013   Online: 710

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is like the Canon, Nikon digital debate or the Chevy, Ford truck debate. I personally prefer Nikon, Chevy and pan tilt heads for large format but if the others work for you then there is nothing wrong with them!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Thinking these would be a good support for 4x5.
    Marvin
    4x5 cameras vary: I can safely put my Chamonix with old Angulon 90/6.8 on my lightest tripod, one designed rather for compact cameras (with no much tilt, however), but for tilting my monorail Cambo with Tele-Arton 360/5.5 something much sturdier and heavier is needed (I use Foba tripod and 3D head for this).

BTW: tripods are good for travelling as they are folding, but for studio work a camera stand, like Cambo SCS, might be better (I consider getting one).
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+49 176 7327 8527|skype:cezzem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pasiasty View Post
    4x5 cameras vary: I can safely put my Chamonix with old Angulon 90/6.8 on my lightest tripod, one designed rather for compact cameras (with no much tilt, however), but for tilting my monorail Cambo with Tele-Arton 360/5.5 something much sturdier and heavier is needed (I use Foba tripod and 3D head for this).

BTW: tripods are good for travelling as they are folding, but for studio work a camera stand, like Cambo SCS, might be better (I consider getting one).
    I do the same because I can put my small Slick tripod inside my backpack when I'm predominantly working hand-held. I've larger Slik, Majestic and Manfrotto tripods and use these where I know using a tripod isn't an issue. There's so many good tripods that it's just personal choice, all mine have been second-hand since the early 1970's except the small Slik.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info and sorry I don't have any more information on these. This is not an online auction so I don't have a link but if I get by there I will try to get a pic. The large Sinar is heavy and has the large thread on the mount. Both have bubble levels but are dried out.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ball heads, in my opinion, are fine for 5x7 and smaller field cameras. I would NOT use a ball head for a monorail camera of any size (a Sinar head would be great, or a geared head for those). I would not use a ball head for an 8x10 or larger of any description, preferring either a pan/tilt or geared head with the larger cameras. I know of what I speak -I have everything from a 5x7/5x12 to whole plate to 11x14 and 14x17 field cameras. I'm only marginally ok with my Gitzo 1525 pan/tilt head under my Canham 14x17, as I think it doesn't have quite large enough a contact patch between the camera and the head. I'm actually thinking of getting a Majestic head to use with it just for the larger contact patch.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    My ski / mountaineering tripod is a Manfrotto 190CX Pro3 with an Acratech GP ball head, less than 4 lbs. and works fantastic for my Chamonix 45N2 and everything else I put on it when I have no choice but to go light. Otherwise I use a 7+ pound combo of a larger set of Manfrotto metal legs with an Arca Swiss B1 head I bought in the early 90's.

I rarely have any issues in using ball heads for 4x5.

Me neither, I use the 222 joystick head on my Manfrotto for 4x5 down to 6x6 and find it quite good. I even tried it with 8x10 but it was not easy to control so now use a 468MGRC3 with the long plate. This is more sturdy and still gives the quick and easy adjustments that ball heads are so good for.

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    This is like the Canon, Nikon digital debate or the Chevy, Ford truck debate. I personally prefer Nikon, Chevy and pan tilt heads for large format but if the others work for you then there is nothing wrong with them!
    That's right. =) Obviously there are many who like to use a ball head with large format. For me, I need individual controls for each direction when using a view camera. When I'm using a medium format camera a ball head works just fine...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are happy with your ball head, more power to you. I use mine a lot for smaller cameras.

The reality is, I can probably hook my little Crown Graphic or RB Auto Graflex 4x5s to just about anything and make it work.

But when I have my Deardorff or Cambo Monorail 8x10s attached to a tripod that is standing on a cliff overhanging a rushing mountain creek, and there is a stiff breeze blowing down the canyon, I personally like my tripod and camera to stay put; even while making minor composition changes.

But that is just me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As I like to have straight lines in my pictures ( I'm German) I really like individual controls for every direction. I use a Feisol 3301 for some years now and a Manfrotto 410 head with a Linhof Technika 4x5.

But usually I don't need all the controls at hand for large format. So this get's me thinking, do I need a head at all? Is anybody of you using his large format camera without a head on the tripod, just a leveling device and that's it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't say what cameras I would use these for but it would be Toyo 45D and 45CX and RB67.
    Marvin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin