Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,726   Online: 1072

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm part of the small group that doesn't use a head when shooting with a LF camera. I don't use one for my 6x6 either. Never liked them and they just cause more problems then they help.

I also don't use any leveling device. Just adjust the legs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    I'm part of the small group that doesn't use a head when shooting with a LF camera. I don't use one for my 6x6 either. Never liked them and they just cause more problems then they help.

I also don't use any leveling device. Just adjust the legs.
    Interesting. So the camera mounts directly to the tripod, or do you use a quickrelease?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For LF I just mounted straight to the tripod. For mf I use a hasslblad QR that mounted straight to the tripod. I've found if the tripod has a spinning center column it's very easy and fast to mount the camera.

I will also normally position the camera so the lens and the front leg are pointing in the same direction. It makes it easer for leveling.

I've yet to ever have a situation where I needed a head. Yes some would have been faster to setup but never needed one. I like the extra stabality, as I'm normally shooting in the seconds range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm using a Linhof Levelling Pan/Tilt Head 77. It has limited movements but it's super stable and smooth.

http://www.linhof.com/images/003667-k.jpg

On the other hand I'm totaly new to LF so can't compare it to anything else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Outbid!!!! I was outbid the Linhof went for $80 and the Sinar went for $110. Well my Bogen will still do the job OK. That Sinar would not be good if you had to carry it any distance but I am sure it would be a stable platform. This was a local Goodwill auction that they run weekly.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ballheads are the root of all evil in many cases, but might be OK if you have a very light 4x5 field camera with modest bellows extension, and if the silly gadget is sufficiently built in the first place. The very best tripod head for view camera use is none at all ! But you need enough platform area atop the tripod itself that wobble won't be an issue.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Another fan of the heavy duty levelling head. Mine is a Linhof Kardan Studio head.

The single degree pivot with a locking strut is a robust design properly executed i.e. see Linhof levelling heads or Reis...

Fewer degrees of movement means all else equal, more robust for the same weight.

My thoughts and the choice I made for my 8x10 & 8x20...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm. Interesting. I recently bid for a Toho, I'm wondering based on this, whether I would need to get a new tripod too.

I currently an using a graphlex vintage tripod. It holds my mamiya pretty easy n stable, but feels too darn top-heavy at times. Used a friend's manfrotto 3021 and that was world's apart.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I run a Bogen 3401 with a 3030 head for everything from a Rollei to the Toyo 45 monorail, it works great for me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I found two tripods up for bid a Linhof with a Linhof ball head and a Sinar that is much larger and heavier. Just wonder what these might be worth. I am not sure what models these might be but they seem to be sturdy and all locks seem to work ok. Thinking these would be a good support for 4x5.
    Marvin
    Ditto.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin