Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,713   Online: 1282

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Horseman monorail that weighs about 12 lbs. I have put it on top of a Bogen 3036 tripod (very sturdy), atop a Bogen 3038 ballhead. It is admittedly a handful to position the camera at the right angle, and I would prefer to use a geared head. However, it has been a very workable combination for commercial product photography.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Ball heads with LF is a horrible combination, IMO.
    Absolutely.

Use a Ries with built in top that tilts or 2 section leg Berlbach. These are the top two. No metal tripods. No ball heads or heads of any kind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    For LF I just mounted straight to the tripod. For mf I use a hasslblad QR that mounted straight to the tripod. I've found if the tripod has a spinning center column it's very easy and fast to mount the camera.

I will also normally position the camera so the lens and the front leg are pointing in the same direction. It makes it easer for leveling.

I've yet to ever have a situation where I needed a head. Yes some would have been faster to setup but never needed one. I like the extra stabality, as I'm normally shooting in the seconds range.
    i was doing this when I first got the sinar but then thought I was being ridiculous and got a sinar tripod head which weighs a ton and adds quite a bit of extra weight to carry and a I really don't think it adds that much difference seeing as it only tilts and swivels so if I need to do critical levelling sometimes I need to adjust the tripod legs where the head doesn't accommodate that movement nor the camera.

perhaps I will revert back to using the tripod without a head at all. the tripod originally had a pistol grip ball head but that was not very good at all and I don't think it was meant for the weight of the f2, the Hasselblad im not so sure I think it will be better to have a head

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haven't used a ball head with my zone VI 4x5, but love my geared bogen head.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a 30+ year old Linhof tripod and pan/tilt head. It weighs a bit, but worth the extra effort. The pan/tilt handle folds down by loosening it and rotates all over for easy use. The only issue I had was adding a 1/4 20 mounting screw, as it only has the 3/8".

My prior tripods wouldn't support my 4x5 very well, heck they wouldn't even support the RB-67 if I tilted it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin