Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,984   Posts: 1,523,917   Online: 975

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Large Format Tripod

I found two tripods up for bid a Linhof with a Linhof ball head and a Sinar that is much larger and heavier. Just wonder what these might be worth. I am not sure what models these might be but they seem to be sturdy and all locks seem to work ok. Thinking these would be a good support for 4x5.
    Marvin

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Ball heads with LF is a horrible combination, IMO.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    I disagree I use this tripod and have had no issues using my 4x5 on it.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_Legs.html

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I found two tripods up for bid a Linhof with a Linhof ball head and a Sinar that is much larger and heavier. Just wonder what these might be worth. I am not sure what models these might be but they seem to be sturdy and all locks seem to work ok. Thinking these would be a good support for 4x5
    Considering you have given us no useful information about the tripods for us to go off of nobody will be able to properly answer your questions.

Model numbers?
    Links to the post?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with LJH. Ball heads and LF does not work for me either, though I do like ball heads with other formats.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    I just started using a Manfrotto 168 ballhead on my 3021 legs, in place of the 3047 head for 4x5. It works for me. I'm not sure I'd like it for 8x10 or an SLR with long tele though.

dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Bogen/Manfrotto 3038 ballhead is an excellent choice for large format. When adjusted to the camera it's supporting, it's quick and accurate (two spirit levels, easily visible). I will never use a tilt/pan head for my field camera again...too fussy and not nearly responsive enough. Massive, solid ballheads are wonderful.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on the ballhead in question and the 4x5 in question. I have a Manfrotto ballhead that's fantastic for my P645 with the 120mm macro (fairly heavy and lopsided) and it's fine so far with my Chamonix F1. But it cannot handle my Cambo monorail at all (so I have a Berlebach with a pan/tilt). As far as whether I like the ballhead with the 4x5, that's still up for debate. I don't usually need to move around fast with it, so another head might be fine. But I'm fine with it so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two tripods.

The first is a wonderful, carbon fiber, Gitzo 3541XLS, on which I have installed a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ball head. This is a VERY stout setup.

My second is an ancient Majestic metal tripod complete with a geared, platform, head. It was old and beat when I received it and it certainly is NOT convenient to pack anywhere, even from the garage to the car and back.

Guess which tripod I grab when I go out with my large format gear?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My ski / mountaineering tripod is a Manfrotto 190CX Pro3 with an Acratech GP ball head, less than 4 lbs. and works fantastic for my Chamonix 45N2 and everything else I put on it when I have no choice but to go light. Otherwise I use a 7+ pound combo of a larger set of Manfrotto metal legs with an Arca Swiss B1 head I bought in the early 90's.

I rarely have any issues in using ball heads for 4x5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    +1 for Gitzo tripods, mine has taken much abuse... and it was second hand. depending on which one you get for different weights, and height adjustments. I like that they are easy to take apart, so when i go to the beach i have no problem cleaning, they also take 30 seconds or less to set up. high recommendation from me!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin