Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,826   Online: 790

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

610mm Apo Nikkor F9 Lens Question

Does anyone know what the lever (above the aperture ring in the photo) is for? It rotates from below the zero mark on the top scale to past the 90 mark but no movement in the lens can be detected.

Thanks,

Thomas
    Thomas

No art passes our conscience in the way that film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls.
    — Ingmar Bergman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is to operate a cover for the slot you see. Open; one can insert Waterhouse stops which are metal plates with holes in them which are used instead of the iris diaphragm. At one time, particularly in the graphic arts (printing) industry; an aperature with a modified hole shape was an aid in producing halftone negatives with dot shapes other than round or square.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are going to use that lens on a camera, you might get more benefit from the waterhouse slot if you could fabricate (or find) the Wratten filter holders that fit in the slot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Richard. That was a puzzle to me.

Could you please elaborate on that ic-racer? How would using a waterhouse stop be an improvement over the iris?

Thanks,

Thomas
    Thomas

No art passes our conscience in the way that film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls.
    — Ingmar Bergman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Taylor View Post
    Thanks Richard. That was a puzzle to me.

Could you please elaborate on that ic-racer? How would using a waterhouse stop be an improvement over the iris?

Thanks,

Thomas
    Might it really be for inserting filters?

RR

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There was a little flat plate (I've got one laying around somewhere), and they'd put a red gel filter in it. Acted like a safelight when they were
    using ortho graphics films. I'm not implying that was the only use for that slot. If three or four-color separations were being made, other
    deep gels could be used. And the waterhouse option. But there were also specialized versions of these which have not only the typical multi
    bladed aperture, but a second aperture which produced an adjustable square hole!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Could you please elaborate on that ic-racer?
    The filter holders are shown on page 10 here: http://savazzi.freehostia.com/downlo...Nikkor%201.pdf

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ...Could you please elaborate on that ic-racer? How would using a waterhouse stop be an improvement over the iris?

Thanks,

Thomas
    A perfectly round hole gives a slightly different out-of-focus look than a not-round hole created by the iris blades?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    These waterhouse goodies were related to the reproduction of halftone dots, which needed to be crisp and might have been slightly affected
    otherwise at different magnification ratios. You'd have to talk to someone from back in the traditional printing industry days, unless someone
    here has that background. I use these lenses in the darkroom, though it would be nice to have shutters for a few of them too, for view camera use. They're optically marvelous. The multi-bladed apertures are wonderful too, but don't expect a pleasant "bokeh" from these tack sharp lenses - it's more the double-lined effect. I've contemplated how to screw-up the optics with some kind of softening diffuser in one of those little inserts, just for the fun of it. I'm not really a soft-focus type, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies everyone and especially is-racer for posting the link which raises the question of whether or not I should tape-up the slot?:

“When no plate is installed in the lens the slot should be closed (a lever is provided for this purpose) to prevent the entry of contaminants into the interior of the lens.”

Thomas
    Thomas

— Ingmar Bergman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin