Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,167   Online: 745

Shooter
    Multi Format

Horseman 6x7 back for 5x4: Operatiing question

I just acquired a Horseman 6x7 rollfilm back with a lever wind-on for 5x4 rather cheaply. It's a bit scruffy but seems functional, and I intend to use it on my 5x4 pinhole camera.

The only thing I can't work out, and can't seem to find online, is a satisfactory explanation of what the small lever with left-pointing arrow (see attached pic) actually does. I'm presuming it forms part of the winding mechanism, but as the main thumb-lever seems to transport the film OK, I don't understand how the wee one fits into the process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131010_5783-03-PA101776-1.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's probably the thing you push to tell the back that you've made an exposure, which will allow the crank to advance to the next frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    It's the thing you push to tell the back that you've made an exposure, which will allow the crank to advance to the next frame.
    That looks like a used unit, so, in addition to the above information, you will also want to make sure the arrow on the film back is in the circular window before closing the back and advancing to the first frame. Also, check that the springs that hold tension on the take-up spool flanges provide some resistance to turning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to both.
    Yes I worked out what the window was for , and while it's clearly very well-used, everything works smoothly and the springs are indeed suitably springy. The only thing that I can see that obviously needs attention are the light traps,

I'm making some exposures now, so I'll see if it's all in order once I develop the flim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Negatives look fine. No obvious light leaks, frame spacing looks OK.

As it cost less than £20, I'm rather pleased (a 6x9 would have been better still of course )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, the 6x7 and 6x9 ones are cheap and common. Sadly the 6x12 ones are not.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin