Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,702   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bag bellows question

About three months ago I bought bag bellows for my Toyo to use with 90/f8 Super Angulon.The seller on eBay "forgot" to tell me that surface of the bellows was sort of tacky.I tried to use some leather preservative but it is still sticky.I hate to take it out it would probably collect all the dust around.I have the lens mounted in recessed board now but it does limit the movements.Any suggestions would be appreciated.I did not pay much money for it so I did not think it was worth my while to return it to the seller.

Thanks Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have you tried simply hanging the bellows up indoors to dry? Whenever I buy second-hand bellows I usually apply either silicone spray (for synthetic leather) or black liquid shoe polish (genuine leather) and then leave the bellows extended indoors to dry. Hard to know what gunk your seller has applied, but I would think silicone would shift it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assuming it's the standard Toyo bag bellows, it's a rubberized material, not leather. So, you can probably get away with cleaning it with just about any household cleaner - up to and including lighter fluid, if need be. After that, a conditioner of the sort used on auto interiors might be a good idea. But, as David suggested, buff off the excess, and let it dry open before folding it up.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Assuming it's the standard Toyo bag bellows, it's a rubberized material, not leather. So, you can probably get away with cleaning it with just about any household cleaner - up to and including lighter fluid, if need be. After that, a conditioner of the sort used on auto interiors might be a good idea. But, as David suggested, buff off the excess, and let it dry open before folding it up.
    Maybe mine is older, but my Toyo bag bellows is made from leather...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This one is made out of leather very soft and playable, I sort of left it sitting on top of one of the boxes holding printing paper ,I lifted it of the box ,and where ever was touching the box left part of the top bellows surface on the box.So it is removing top layer of the leather. When I strike my hand over the surface it does not stick it sort feels like dissolved?I think if I was to take my finger nail and scrape it would take top surface off.

Thanks Greg

Buster6X6

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Saddle soap, followed by neat's foot oil once the leather is completely dry. If that doesn't fix it up, rush it to the nearest small independent shoe repair shop, where the proprietor will likely be overjoyed to have a chance to work on a leather item that doesn't smell of feet, and can probably make it soft and supple like a kidskin glove.

Meantime, make a note of the eBay seller's name, so you can avoid buying other LF items from the same jerkwad.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hate to say it, but from Greg's second posting it almost sounds as if the bellows are made of synthetic leather and are oozing plasticizer. This is rare but can happen if the bellows are stored for a long period in hot humid conditions. Try the remedies which have been suggested, but the bellows just might have had it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bellows came from Florida(Hot ,Humid?) Box reads: Sakai special camera company:Balloon bellows Toyo45G:Cat.#180-703 A can't say is the bellows were made out of synthetic leather, but sure previous comments indicate it is.

Thanks to all you were a great help.Chalk another $50 to Epay

Greg

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    is it epays fault that you got a seller that sold a bad set of bellows? and you waited 3 months to say anything?

Dave

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is actually a perfect situation and you just haven't realized it yet. All the lint that normally goes on your unexposed emulsion will get sidetracked to the bellows. I covered the entire C1 camera I just sent you with Scotch 77. Hope that was OK. Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin