Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,558,013   Online: 1129
      
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,150
    On a SuperGraphic I've found the cam to work fine with both a 135 Optar and 135 Symmar-S.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I'm not looking for any "magic bullet". I am telling you that on 5different Crowns or Speeds I have calibrated--that I have successfully gotten the Kalarts to be so absolutely dead-on within less than 1/8 of an inch of in agreement with the groundglass from 4 feet to 50 feet. I've calibrated these things to where you don't need to use the GG and a magnifier. In other words--perfect. But when I remove the 135 Optar and put on the 135 Schneider, it's off by a good bit. Bothe 135's are marked 135, but they are not exactly. This means that since the top-mounted Graphic finders that use cams cannot possibly be so dead-perfect. The cams are for their marked focal-length lenses. Yes, I can make cams, and yes I am a very meticulous perfectionist worker, but you can sand, file, taper, and labor till you end up in an asylum on a cam and never get it just perfect. The only reason I leaned towards the top-mounted finders is the auto-parallax and the handy push-button beam light. Actually, the top-mounted finders are really plasticy-junky in construction.
    Actually the nominal focal length of lenses can vary quite a bit. And, if they are mounted in different shutters, their optical centers will be in different places relative to the lensboard. This is why Linhof cuts cams individually, matching them perfectly to their lens, then marking the cam with that lens' serial number. And believe me when I tell you Linhof cams are perfect.
    So unless your Optar and your Schneider are precisely the same focal length, mounted in precisely the same relationship to the lensboard, they never will interchange. It isn't the RF's fault.
    As for getting cams perfect, I cammed a 6" Goerz Dagor for my Linhof. No sweat, just a bit of patience and skill with a #6 file. If there's any error, I can't find it.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,490
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    On a SuperGraphic I've found the cam to work fine with both a 135 Optar and 135 Symmar-S.
    It's possible to shim the shutters re. the lensbord and get one cam to work with two lenses.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I'm not looking for any "magic bullet". I am telling you that on 5different Crowns or Speeds I have calibrated--that I have successfully gotten the Kalarts to be so absolutely dead-on within less than 1/8 of an inch of in agreement with the groundglass from 4 feet to 50 feet. I've calibrated these things to where you don't need to use the GG and a magnifier. In other words--perfect. But when I remove the 135 Optar and put on the 135 Schneider, it's off by a good bit. Bothe 135's are marked 135, but they are not exactly. This means that since the top-mounted Graphic finders that use cams cannot possibly be so dead-perfect. The cams are for their marked focal-length lenses. Yes, I can make cams, and yes I am a very meticulous perfectionist worker, but you can sand, file, taper, and labor till you end up in an asylum on a cam and never get it just perfect. The only reason I leaned towards the top-mounted finders is the auto-parallax and the handy push-button beam light. Actually, the top-mounted finders are really plasticy-junky in construction.
    Please tell me how you distinguish one-eighth of an inch on the groundglass at fifty feet, I smell something here...

  5. #15

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    What you smell is a perfectionist who keeps at it till it's perfect.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    790
    Tom, I am with you - that is why I stick with pacemaker/kalart combos. I can calibrate those exactly, and any top-mount rangefinder is not going to be as accurate without huge work in making a perfect cam for it. I go so far as to mate up one lens and one body, and shoot that way (handheld, with rangefinder focusing). I have 2 crowns and 2 speeds, all pacemaker/kalarts. one of the crowns is calibrated to a 135mm, the other will be to a 90mm. One speed is set to work with an aero ektar, the other with a 150. it makes for a lot of extra bodies lying around, but ensures that rangefinder coupling is spot-on. I have shot 2 lenses on the crown, one calibrated, the other not. The only way that works well (handheld) is if the non-calibrated one is fairly wide, thus forgiving depth of field. But focusing with the ground glass is clumsy and cumbersome vs. just using the rangefinder.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,150
    Yes, of course. In my case, the difference was so small as to be unnoticeable and not even worth shimming. Nothing a small amount of DOF wouldn't fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    It's possible to shim the shutters re. the lensbord and get one cam to work with two lenses.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    What you smell is a perfectionist who keeps at it till it's perfect.
    No no, while I do not have the finely tuned olfactory skill of a perfumier, I'm quite certain I smell something quite different.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,490
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Yes, of course. In my case, the difference was so small as to be unnoticeable and not even worth shimming. Nothing a small amount of DOF wouldn't fix.
    When I made the cam for my 6", I was able to use a cam from a 150 (6" is 152.4mm) without any peening. I've often wondered if Goerz N.Y. used the drawings from Berlin and called a 150 6 inches and close enough. Anyway, I had only to remove a small amount of metal from the cam to make it match - I shimmed the shutter on the board until I had infinity using the existing stop on the camera for the 150, then filed the cam. The only tools were a file, a loupe, and a magical marker. If the 150 the camera came cammed for is exactly 150, and the Dagor is exactly 6", I should have had to peen the cam slightly near the end. But then who knows what the exact fl of the lens the cam came from was, and how that body's rangefinder was - STIV cams are matched to the lens and body.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 10-16-2013 at 01:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    I guess this thread I started is not needed any more. Just won a fleabay auction on a nice looking Speed with Kalart and Graflok, and 150mm Ektar in a Supermatic X shutter for $177. Not bad at all. I'll calibrate the rangefinder for the existing lens, and make translation scales for my 101 Optar when I use my roll film backs.

    I did this to pare down the 2 Crowns I've had for ages. And seriously thinking of getting rid of my ham gear too that I've had for30 years. Maybe a point in life has come to stop having a house full of junk, and getting down on a single interest. I never really warmed up to the Hasselblad stuff I've got either.
    Thanks, people.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 10-16-2013 at 02:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin