Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,203   Posts: 1,531,639   Online: 1135

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For someone with so much confidence I'm surprised you lack the confidence to answer the question yourself. I'd send it back. It is no deal if you have to fix too many things and don't really want to fix things. There may be a better deal waiting out there, especially if you are in no rush. I once found a Anniversary Graphic (retrofitted with a Graphlock back) that was fully functional for $24 + shipping. I used it for 2 years before needing to have the shutter overhauled... and even after that it was still a good deal.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    But I know I can repair things, because I can fix anything. That's not really my question. My question is whether my $177 can still be considered a good buy.
    Well, the yoke (rails) usually sell for $70 on ebay. A striped body goes for $50-$75. A good curtain on the rollers $40. There's $160-$195 before shipping if you need the parts or strip it and eventually sell them minus the listing time, packing and shipping time, and listing fees.

You have failed to state exactly what is broken and it may be just misassembled. Then there is the overall appearance to be considered.
    Generally a Speed body needing servicing and or minor repair goes for $100 to $150 depending on what is wrong.

The camera and leaf shutter in working condition with clean lens goes for around $350 and said freshly serviced around $500 unless you buy from the seller looking for the collector that has to have that one then you'll pay 2 to 3 times those figures.

you probably got a good buy but without seeing it or knowing what is broken it will be a SWAG to give a definite yes or no answer.

I'll fix it for you for $250 + shipping both ways or I'll lease you my 5# sledge hammer for $50 + shipping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... so you don't want the sledge hammer returned?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks guys. It's that 152 Ektar with the glass in such beautiful condition that keeps nagging at me. Most camera an/or lenses on EBAY have "cleaning marks", so the sellers say. And if they say nothing, and you open the box, there are those damn "cleaning marks". They're called SCRATCHES. And this Ektar doesn't have any. This has been a tough call, but Monday is my deadline for sending it all back.
    I already have a 10lb sledge, and a maul.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ... so you don't want the sledge hammer returned?
    No, I'll just go to the big orange box store and get a new one and pocket the rest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Well, the yoke (rails) usually sell for $70 on ebay. A striped body goes for $50-$75. A good curtain on the rollers $40. There's $160-$195 before shipping if you need the parts or strip it and eventually sell them minus the listing time, packing and shipping time, and listing fees.

You have failed to state exactly what is broken and it may be just misassembled. Then there is the overall appearance to be considered.
    Generally a Speed body needing servicing and or minor repair goes for $100 to $150 depending on what is wrong.

The camera and leaf shutter in working condition with clean lens goes for around $350 and said freshly serviced around $500 unless you buy from the seller looking for the collector that has to have that one then you'll pay 2 to 3 times those figures.

you probably got a good buy but without seeing it or knowing what is broken it will be a SWAG to give a definite yes or no answer.

I'll fix it for you for $250 + shipping both ways or I'll lease you my 5# sledge hammer for $50 + shipping.
    A bit of patience and you'd get the parts for far less. I've done that repairing a Speed & Super Graphic OK I waited about a year for the Super Graphic parts and they were from this Forum

I have a large map draw full of Graflex bits unfortunately nothing spare to help the OP and surprisingly they came from Paris (France not north america).

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    I bought my first Speed an Anniversary with a 135mm lens, and a Heiland flash for $180. My second Speed was a 5x7 with a Graflite flash and a 7-1/2" Kodak lens for $80. My third speed was another Anniversary with a 127mm Ektar for $90, My forth cost me just $40.

Deals are out there if you want to wait.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Since somebody pulled up this thread today, I thought I'd pass on what I finally did. I sent back that Speed, and won an auction for a Super Graphic AND the original flash, all in good condition for $197. It's supposed to get here tomorrow. Can't wait. If this works out, I'll get rid of my 2 Crowns I've had for ages, AND my Calumet view. This Super looks like it has all the front movement I ever had use for on the Calumet. I can't recall in 35 years of owning it if I ever used a rear-standard movement. This is a small house, and this can clear out a ton of space around here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Since somebody pulled up this thread today, I thought I'd pass on what I finally did. I sent back that Speed, and won an auction for a Super Graphic AND the original flash, all in good condition for $197. It's supposed to get here tomorrow. Can't wait. If this works out, I'll get rid of my 2 Crowns I've had for ages, AND my Calumet view. This Super looks like it has all the front movement I ever had use for on the Calumet. I can't recall in 35 years of owning it if I ever used a rear-standard movement. This is a small house, and this can clear out a ton of space around here.
    How long before you return that?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    How long before you return that?
    I won't be returning it. It looks to be in good shape, I got a good price, and if it has problems, I'll fix them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin