Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,196   Online: 1013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I will document the solution I come up with and share that information here, definitely. Thanks again everyone.

-Aaron

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The bayonet simply fixes under the shutter retaining ring if it's like my 6x9 Bergheil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Bergheil is listed in my 1929 BJP Almanac (it was also known as The Tourist), and there was a choice of 4 standard lenses f4.5 Skopar, f6.3 Collinear, f4.5 and f3.5 Heliar (that order is the extra price). These were all 165mm. However the cameras can be found with longer Heliars.

The the Collinear was similar to a Dagor and could be used split to give 3 focal lengths. Voigtlander also sold them separately with different combinations of cells.

If you want to use the camera one option while you're looking for an original lens would be to find a 165mm f4.4 or f6.3 CZJ Tessar, these are quite easy to find at reasonable prices.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Edp, yes you are correct. Ian, thank you, that's the most specific info yet.

-Aaron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, do you have the information to know if the 9x12 and 10x15 Bergheils used the same shutter sizes, and/or what those sizes were? It shouldn't be too hard to find some of those lenses, especially the Skopar, in shutter at a decent price, but it might be kind of a crapshoot to try to get a shutter that fits the bayonet without an adapter.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Ian, do you have the information to know if the 9x12 and 10x15 Bergheils used the same shutter sizes, and/or what those sizes were? It shouldn't be too hard to find some of those lenses, especially the Skopar, in shutter at a decent price, but it might be kind of a crapshoot to try to get a shutter that fits the bayonet without an adapter.

-NT
    The BJPA adverts don't say what sized shutters and the images are Dial-set Compur shutters which weren't standard compared to later rimset Compurs, so that'll be an issue as well,

A 135mm or 150mm is standard for 9x12 cameras, I'd expect a Skopar to be similar to a Tessar where the 135mm & 150mm are both in rimset Compur #1's, but a 165mm f4.5 is in a larger shutter, usually a Compound.

So it's likely to be a bit hit & miss.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format

Voigtlander Bergheil Bayonets

Bergheils are great cameras and what draw people to them are the great Heliar lenses and the option of changing lenses quickly with a bayonet type connection to the camera. Unfortunately the bayonets themselves are hard to come by. I solved this by having a local Cad-Cam shop make me a dozen or so copies of my Bergheil bayonet with different size holes for the #0, 1 and #2 Compur shutters. Now I have an assortment of lenses and shutters that I can click into my Bergheils in the same time it takes for any 35mm camera.
    Last edited by John Flinn; 02-19-2014 at 09:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: unneccesary spaces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Flinn View Post
    I solved this by having a local Cad-Cam shop make me a dozen or so copies of my Bergheil bayonet with different size holes for the #0, 1 and #2 Compur shutters. Now I have an assortment of lenses and shutters that I can click into my Bergheils in the same time it takes for any 35mm camera.
    How expensive was that small production run? I've wondered about doing something similar but never got organized enough even to research the likely cost.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you sell them, people (i.e. me) will want them.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bergheil Bayonets for extra lenses

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question. It cost a total of $250 and three runs to get the specs tweeked so that my stainless steel bayonets would fit correctly on my 9x12 Bergheils. There is not much room for error. I still do some minor grinding after the laser cutting to get a perfect fit as I have found that there is a little variation among Bergheil cameras. If enough people are interested I can make some more runs. It is especially important to have the proper lock nut for the shutter so that it is smaller than the front hole in the camera. This is easy for the size 0 compurs or copal shutters but sometimes a little grinding is necessary on the outside of the lock nut for the size 1 or 2 Compurs. Voigtlander even made its own custom shutter lock nut for the #2 Compur so that it would fit through the hole. Those of you that own the older Heliars mounted in dial set #2 Compurs will know what I mean. I figure these bayonets could be offered at $35 each for the size 0, 1 and 2 shutters. For the 00 size I just use the Copal 0 to Copal 00 adapter sold at Steve Grimes. They go for about $35. I use this system for mounting tiny 65mm F6.8 Schneider Angulon onto my Bergheil. It works great with a little upward shift so that the carriage isn't in the frame. Having multiple lenses with the Bergheil really sets it apart from the other folders.

John Flinn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin