Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,941   Online: 1006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bringing my Tachihara 4x5 through Australia's customs.

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone had experience bringing a LF camera to Australia. Was there any problem with the customs?

Wooden article, quarantine, etc. They're really strict that's all I know.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Shooter
    35mm
    How long have you got before traveling? You could get the definitive answer if you contact the nearest Australian Consulate. Make sure that you get their answer in writing and if stopped then show them you took all necessary precautions before you travelled.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The camera won't be a problem. I'm an Aussie and have traveled regularly with my ebony etc. Getting sheet film hand checked is more of an issue - getting harder and harder to explain !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks a lot James, that's good to know. Couple of friends brought in some photo frames (wooden) and a few got quarantined - so I was just worried.

Thank you too @BMBikerider.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used to travel back and forth between the USA and Oz regularly and never had any trouble with ta camera. There is some US customs form you can fill out ahead of time to make sure that you don't have a problem bringing it back in without risking duty on it.

I only had trouble getting a hand inspection of film once, at LAX. The guy wanted to open the box and check it even though it was factory sealed, but he eventually let it through.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You probably will be directed to open the camera, extended it etc for X-Ray, even a touchy-feely if they are really curious/cautious. Advise the inspecting Officer about loaded film holders; the younger officers will likely not be very familiar with large format (or even medium format!). Proprietary wooden cameras (Ebony, Toyo, Wista) do not pose a risk; they are treated at manufacture, much the same as walking canes and wooden pens. But woe betide you if Customs opens the camera and out flies an exotic moth! Also expect to come in for attention if the camera is home-made of wood (with materials coming from another country).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The camera will not be a problem as it is a manufactured and finished product.

However I would suggest you don't bring any film holders in, with film in them. Once I had to pull the slides out of all four film holders I was carrying upon returning to Melbourne, for a customs inspection.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Mick, wow they'd inspect holders?? If i just scan them without declaring that'd be okay right? It's a 125 asa films so im not worried xray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Every year since 2008, I've taken my wooden Wista in and out of the country, and they are often curious (although this year they were only interested in the cable release in the bag), but it has never been a problem. I am often surprised at how familiar x-ray operators are with these cameras.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You guys are awesome! I've booked my tickets and im ready to go. Thanks so much everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin