Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,891   Posts: 1,520,853   Online: 1168

Shooter
    Multi Format

Camera show in Washington DC area

I went to a camera show in Washington DC area today. Over the last four years the number of buyer-sellers has been reduced by half. KEH never shows up any more. As always there are many 35mm camera bodies but the proportion of circa 1900 to 1920 wooden large format cameras has increased. There is still a large selection of equipment, but I wonder how much longer these camera shows will continue.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to setup at the Tyson Corner show until the internet and the Bay came along. After that it did'nt really make any sense to setup anymore for me. Continued to attend the shows for awhile as a buyer. This to got old after awhile. Same old dealers, same old overpriced stuff.

B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago it was popular, but with internet ebay sadly reduce it. I use to go to Washington DC all the time!

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    I went to a show here in St. Louis a while back. I saw one Calumet 4x5 monorail and a Speed Graphic. There were a few worn out Hasselblads and Rolleiflexes which were overpriced. Mostly it was all 35mm cameras. I did buy a nice Leitz Tiltall tripod for $75.00.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In the 1990s, in North Texas, there were six of these shows a year - every two months. There were 2 each in Ft. Worth, Dallas, and somewhere between the two cities. Some of them were huge, and would take a couple of hours just to walk around. There were lines to get in when they opened up in the morning.

But, yes, the internet and all its ramifications pretty much has killed them off. For the last ten years (+/-) there have only been 2 shows a year, each one a little smaller and sadder than the last. And now, the local camera store that was producing them has had some disagreement with the hosting venue (I would guess a rental increase) and has halted them all together until he can find another place. I doubt there will ever be another.

It's just sad, but true. With everything so readily available on the internet, there is just no market for the "show".

FWIW, KEH was at the last 2 or 3 of these local shows. Go figure ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    One of the few camera show promoters still around. When I was setting up, Sam Vinegar was the promoter. I believe his son Abe is running the shows now..

http://www.photorama.com/

B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went to the DC show's sister in Fort Washington, Pa, this morning. Not as dismal, with respect to LF, as DC show seems to have been but a far cry from what camera shows used to be.

Abe Vinegar was there, Sam wasn't. The old pirate was, however, at the last Fort Washington show.

Shooter
    35mm
    Delaware Valley Photographic Society use to put on a show in Pa, the King Of Prussia Show. Now that was a great show. Must have been a hundred or so dealers and huge crowds all day. Would take you all day to see and talk to everyone.

The Good Old Days,

B.

Shows in the Portland, OR, area stopped at least a decade ago. I miss them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin