Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,830   Online: 1117

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before pointing the finger at the Toyo, consider that spirit levels, especially oil-filled, are not infallible to error. If you have rubbed (or somebody else has) the spirit levels with a cloth, they will be electrostatically charged and will resist centering (e.g. they'll rush to left or right but won't centre, or be slightly off centre even when everything appears correct). Use an Ilford antistatic cloth or spray to de-charge the levels. I have done this on everything from builder's levels to trailer-beam bullseye levels and it does work. It has also been done on Linhof Master Tek. cameras. Today the same trick has been applied to one of three levels on my Manfrotto 498RC4 ballhead.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Before pointing the finger at the Toyo, consider that spirit levels, especially oil-filled, are not infallible to error. If you have rubbed (or somebody else has) the spirit levels with a cloth, they will be electrostatically charged and will resist centering (e.g. they'll rush to left or right but won't centre, or be slightly off centre even when everything appears correct). Use an Ilford antistatic cloth or spray to de-charge the levels. I have done this on everything from builder's levels to trailer-beam bullseye levels and it does work. It has also been done on Linhof Master Tek. cameras. Today the same trick has been applied to one of three levels on my Manfrotto 498RC4 ballhead.

Ah I see. Will the charging stay for a while? Shouldnt the charge dissipate after a while?
    It sounds like what the spirit levels seem to be doing here, I'll try that

Shooter
    Large Format
    Does anyone have a photo or drawing on how the levels mount? Especially if there are any adjustments built into the mounting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From what I've seen, I rarely want the camera square to gravity. I want to make sure trees, buildings or horizon lines are straight. Since those are on the ground glass I never understood why I'd want to go to the effort of leveling the camera only to adjust it later. I've found my eye can pick up less than .5 deg on the ground glass easy and circular bubble levels would have a hard time with that.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=analoguey;1564996]

Haha.
    How does one measure btw? Does that old weight tied to string thing work best?
    Btw wouldn't successive road-work mean that buildings are out-of-whack because of that? Or maybe moved because of the ground beneath them shifting, ever so lightly?

/QUOTE]

I'm just joking around with E. here.

Yes, plumb bobs work fine and so did my tape measures, stick rule and levels. Yes, a lot of old buildings have settled over the years, some even to the point of having to be torn down. My house was built in the late 1920's. When I layed tile in the kitchen and hallway I found every wall was out. It took me half an hour of measuring so it would come out looking right. We do have a very unusual shaped kitchen.

New construction is much, much better but of course nothing is absolutely perfect. Watchmaking precision is not necessary and cost prohibitive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alan, how are you making out with that Artar?

"Watchmaking precision is not necessary and cost prohibitive. " Not when you're making watches.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Alan, how are you making out with that Artar?
    The black paint along the edge of one of the elements is bubbling in two spots. It may have been like this for years. I was just afraid that some day it might flake off.

Right now it takes beautiful, sharp images. I got the lens cheap so I've decided to keep it.

Thanks for asking!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    The black paint along the edge of one of the elements is bubbling in two spots. It may have been like this for years. I was just afraid that some day it might flake off.

Right now it takes beautiful, sharp images. I got the lens cheap so I've decided to keep it.

Thanks for asking!
    You told me what you paid, remember? You should be ashamed!

Don't worry about the paint, my 16 1/2" doesn't have any - I'm pretty sure it came that way from Goerz. Go over the bare spot with a sharpie if it bugs you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You told me what you paid, remember? You should be ashamed!

Don't worry about the paint, my 16 1/2" doesn't have any - I'm pretty sure it came that way from Goerz. Go over the bare spot with a sharpie if it bugs you.
    Yeah, I pretty much stole it. I wouldn't do that to someone normally but this was an Ebay auction.

Thanks for the advice about the paint.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin