Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,373   Online: 886

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Noob Q: Unable to get spirit levels to level out on Toyo.

Hello

I just got delivery of my Toyo F (going by pictures on the web - the seller only knew it was a Toyo). I have since assembled the camera - surprised me with the ease in putting it together.
    I then put on the tripod clamp and mounted it on the tripod only to discover that I was unable to get the spirit levels to level out at all. They always seemed to be off by a bit - I checked both standards to 0 degree tilt/shift, as well levelled out the tripod as best as I could see visually.
    Didnt see any change, I then removed the whole thing off the tripod and placed it on the floor to do the same, and still couldnt get the spirit levels a-ok.

My question is - would this be a major hiccup? And what would be the way to fix this?

I did contact the seller(frm Japan), who was very nice about it, but didnt know much on fixing the camera and would only offer a refund.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading up on this thread, but not sure its the same issue.?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Checking vial levels. Remember the error seen when the vial is reversed is double the actual leveling error. Correct only half the error you see and recheck. A few iterations will get the vial very close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    Checking vial levels. Remember the error seen when the vial is reversed is double the actual leveling error. Correct only half the error you see and recheck. A few iterations will get the vial very close.
    I have circular spirit levels on both front and rear standards - would that still hold good?
    I have tried to adjust earlier, but the 0s hold on both standards' tilt and shifts and I am still not able to get them in the center.
    Is there any particular standard I should first try to level out?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    I have circular spirit levels on both front and rear standards - would that still hold good?
    I have tried to adjust earlier, but the 0s hold on both standards' tilt and shifts and I am still not able to get them in the center.
    Is there any particular standard I should first try to level out?
    Don't worry about the levels, they're of limited value. For architectural work, they're useless - use a gridded groundglass. My 4x5 has a round bubble level, which is accurate, but I've never used it. My 8x10 has no levels and I've never missed them.

Just get the levels as close as you can with shims, use them as a guide to get the camera close to plumb and level - the final arbiter is the GG . You only get a flat and level horizon at sea, anyway.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 11-05-2013 at 08:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Don't worry about the levels, they're of limited value. For architectural work, they're useless - use a gridded groundglass. My 4x5 has a round bubble level, which is accurate, but I've never used it. My 8x10 has no levels and I've never missed them.

Just get the levels as close as you can with shims, use them as a guide to get the camera close to plumb and level - the final arbiter is the GG anyway. You only get a flat and level horizon at sea, anyway.
    So ignore the spirit levels you say? Or just get them somewhere close enough? :-/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I posted, "Just get the levels as close as you can with shims..."
    Those little round bubble levels are useless for precision leveling anyway, I don't know why people obsess so over them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    As I posted, "Just get the levels as close as you can with shims..."
    Those little round bubble levels are useless for precision leveling anyway, I don't know why people obsess so over them.
    Got it. So something like this, or much closer in the inner circle?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1383672603646.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use an inexpensive torpedo level I purchased at the hardware store. It works great and I can use it with multiple cameras.

I agree with E. about people obsessing about the camera being perfectly level. What looks good on the ground glass is what is important.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Back when I was an apprentice sheet metal worker I was hanging some ductwork in an old fire station which was built in the late 1800's. My foreman walked up to me and told me it looked terrible. I put my level on the ductwork and showed him it was indeed level. He had me drop the line until it looked level which was actually 2" out of level. I ended up splitting the difference at 1" out and thats how it's hanging today. The actual building was so out that it made my ductwork look out of level.

My point is that even if something is level it may not look right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin