Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,977   Online: 884

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    And... Look what I just discovered on my camera!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384632757.383776.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	77044

However it only seems to be accurate when the rear extension is not extended, and the front extension focusing knobs are not extended either, so I guess it's useful in certain certain circumstances but it's poorly placed, it's also not accurate to the actual distance, but rather to where you can view the distance, what I mean by that is obviously as you can see there is a piece of plaster sticking out from further than the actual lens board area, so that number seems to correspond with the actual lens for distance from the film plane, not the actual physical distance from the number markings to the film plane.

Either way it's handy to have in a pinch, so long as you realize that it doesn't account for the front and rear extensions.

It's also poorly placed, it could've added some kind of track system on the side that would've made a lot more sense, but at least it's a start!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look on the side, or maybe even on both sides. Isn't there a blank scale that you can mark?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Look on the side, or maybe even on both sides. Isn't there a blank scale that you can mark?
    Yes, I was going to mark infinity spots for my lenses for night work (so I don't have to show up 3 hours before when there's still light to focus
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wait I'm confused what other tools? The only tools available to me are my reciprocity timer, which asks me about the Bellas distance, however if the bells distance includes this extra space that is outside of the lens area, how can I tell where on the lens this point is? I don't see any special marking telling me where that point is like you do on a 35mm camera which has that zero with a line through it showing that that is where the film plane is, so how can I know?
    By "other tools" I mean those tricks one can use with either a ruler or other standard item that you include in the scene, and then read the exposure adjustment off of the image on the ground glass.

Or you could use that fancy math you are trying to avoid
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    By "other tools" I mean those tricks one can use with either a ruler or other standard item that you include in the scene, and then read the exposure adjustment off of the image on the ground glass.

Or you could use that fancy math you are trying to avoid
    Believe it or not I'm actually still confused, I don't understand what helps me about putting the ruler into the scene, I'm just not following, also I wouldn't think that reading a spot meter on the back of the groundglass would give me an accurate reading because the light is already diminished?

Just really not following you there

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Also in a secondary "duh" moment, I was looking at my own picture of the 4 x 5, and I noticed that the scale read 100, 200 150, but the 200 was in orange, I've now realized that the 200 is the marking for when the rear part of the camera is extended. I guess the engineers at Toyo figured some things out even if I'm too blind to notice them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone:

You put a standard item into your scene, at the distance you are focusing to.

Then you measure the image of the item on your ground glass using a scale that allows you to read the correction factor directly.

Try this link for an example: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...oseUpCalc.html

and in particular the tool linked thereon (including instructions!): http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...ic/SBVCALC.pdf

In case you are wondering, this sort of tool works because you can reduce all the exposure adjustment calculations into formulas that depend on image magnification (instead of focal length and bellows extension).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

I just use a small tape to measure the bellows and then do a bit of math. I used to have one of those gizmos that Calumet put out, but I lost it. I liked it until I forgot to remove the target from the shot and had a big surprise when I got home!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Believe it or not I'm actually still confused, I don't understand what helps me about putting the ruler into the scene, I'm just not following, ...
    Post #15 and 22. I followed my own advise. Printing and gluing to a file card took about 1.78 minutes. Add another 5 for the Elmer's to dry. Send me your mailing address and it is yours. That plus about 3 minutes of playing with it will clarify everything in your mind.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Post #15 and 22. I followed my own advise. Printing and gluing to a file card took about 1.78 minutes. Add another 5 for the Elmer's to dry. Send me your mailing address and it is yours. That plus about 3 minutes of playing with it will clarify everything in your mind.
    Haha bribing me to shut up basically! Haha ok well played sir

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin