Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,992   Online: 808

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Toyo 45AII maxes out at 324mm of bellows extension and I wanted to focus relatively close with a 300mm lens. My 305 G-Claron would not allow that so I did a some research and found the modern 300mm lens which has the shortest flangeback of that focal length (without getting into the big and heavy f5.6 lenses). I then bought a 300mm f8.5 Fujinon C which focuses on infinity at 282mm. That gives me lots of room to play and allows me to focus very close to things without getting into add on items like an extension back or a top-hat lens board.

I was quite surprised by the difference in focus distance of lenses of the same focal length, even modern lenses. It's definitely something to consider before buying a lens if you're short on bellows.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Years ago for my 4x5 Ikeda I built an extended lens board using a tin can of appropriate diameter and length.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Jim: and how did that work out?

Shawn: wow, I did not know there was usch a diffrence. I will definately look into that. THX
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since my Wista is double extension only, the longest lens I can use in practice is a 270mm (a G-Claron in my case). A top-hat board would help a bit, but that sort of extension only really helps you get closer than infinity for focus. If you cannot really get infinity focus on the base camera your options are limited.

The MPP VII will accommodate a 400mm lens, so this is my camera of choice for long lenses and closer focusing. On the other hand, the MPP does not give much flexibility at 90mm or shorter, while the Wista will handle a fast 90mm with decent movements.

If you have a 210mm or a 250mm as your 'long', then look at the possibilities of enlargement. Or use a camera with interchangeable bellows.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Shawn: wow, I did not know there was usch a diffrence. I will definately look into that. THX
    You're welcome. =)

Here is a great resource for modern lenses:
    http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/lenses.html

Scroll down the chart under glossary of terms.

"The flange focal distance of a lens is the distance from the rear surface of the lens shutter (i.e. the front surface of the lensboard) to the focal plane (i.e. the film plane) when the lens is focused at infinity."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you use something else entirely?
    see above. my solution when faced with that problem. when all else fails... buy another camera or lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    If you cannot really get infinity focus on the base camera your options are limited.
    Are you sure?

I ask because I sometimes use a 10.16"/9 Cooke Copying Lens on my 2x3 Century Graphic, maximum extension around 196 mm. The trick is to hang the lens on an LTM tube on an adapter on a #1 shutter on the board. Focuses usefully close, too.

Oh, yeah, the lens is TTH's interpretation of the Apo Tessar, isn't at all telephoto.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    You're welcome. =)

Here is a great resource for modern lenses:
    http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/lenses.html

Scroll down the chart under glossary of terms.

"The flange focal distance of a lens is the distance from the rear surface of the lens shutter (i.e. the front surface of the lensboard) to the focal plane (i.e. the film plane) when the lens is focused at infinity."
    I always assumed the flange focal distance was pretty close to the indicated focal length, exept of course for telephotos.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always assumed the flange focal distance was pretty close to the indicated focal length, exept of course for telephotos.
    Me too... It wasn't until I had an issue and sought out more information that I realized how much it can vary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MediumExtension.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	76869

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin