Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,473   Posts: 1,570,969   Online: 829

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks suspiciously like a tandem camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Are you sure?

I ask because I sometimes use a 10.16"/9 Cooke Copying Lens on my 2x3 Century Graphic, maximum extension around 196 mm. The trick is to hang the lens on an LTM tube on an adapter on a #1 shutter on the board. Focuses usefully close, too.

Oh, yeah, the lens is TTH's interpretation of the Apo Tessar, isn't at all telephoto.
    Depends on the camera, I think. Both the Wista and the MPP are using essentially 100mm boards, so that limits the diameter of any extension tube, and thus the rear element size. 30mm or so is doable, after that the geometry gets tight, especially with movements. The Wista is not that rigid at full extension, so putting a lens in a No.1 shutter 30mm or more ahead of the lens panel introduces a lot of stress/flex. And that would just get me to 300mm. I might as well enlarge the 270mm.

On the other hand, the MPP needs a top hat/cone mount to use a 90mm because of the split focus rail.

What is it, about 1/10th the focal length of extension for a general focus range from infinity?
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    Depends on the camera, I think. Both the Wista and the MPP are using essentially 100mm boards, so that limits the diameter of any extension tube, and thus the rear element size. 30mm or so is doable, after that the geometry gets tight, especially with movements. The Wista is not that rigid at full extension, so putting a lens in a No.1 shutter 30mm or more ahead of the lens panel introduces a lot of stress/flex. And that would just get me to 300mm. I might as well enlarge the 270mm.

What is it, about 1/10th the focal length of extension for a general focus range from infinity?
    Not really. The tube goes between lens and shutter, and in the example I gave the lens is a tiny little thing. I've done the same with a 260/10 Nikkor-Q (= Process Nikkor), a gross huge monstrosity, on my Century Graphic and with a 480/9 Apo Nikkor on a short tube in front of a #1 on my tandem 2x3 Graphic.

These cameras have, practically speaking, no movements.

I use multiple standards with, depending on the situation and lens, multiple bellows or bellows and extension tube, to use a 610 Apo Nikkor and a 900 Apo Saphir on my Cambos. Those setups need a crutch to support the lens.

Right, that range will give magnifications from 0 to 1:10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I made a top-hat lensboard for my 300mm Nikkor M on field cameras with only 12" of bellows draw. It saves me camera weight and works fairly well as long as I don't try to focus too close (min. focus is about 8 feet). Also, it is a pain to use front swings/tilts although it is doable to a certain extent (till the top-hat board starts to vignette.

As 12 inches is almost exactly 300mm, this is not much of an extension. It is just enough to make the lens usable for general work (not too close up) in the field. If you need to put a lens on your camera that is significantly longer than the bellows length and you expect to be using it regularly, I'd either spring for a telephoto if that would meet your needs (however, they are heavy, have little coverage and are a PITA with front movements) or just get a different camera altogether.

Best,

Doremus
    i just bought this same lens to use on my Wista.. which only has 12" bellows draw..
    im probably just going to buy an extended lens board.
    i also have a Graphic View II which i think has 14" bellows draw, so the lens isn't completely unusable.
    my photo blog;
    www.jamesruff.net
    Flickr
    35mm/6x4.5/6x6/6x7/6x17/4x5

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    i just bought this same lens to use on my Wista.. which only has 12" bellows draw..
    im probably just going to buy an extended lens board.
    i also have a Graphic View II which i think has 14" bellows draw, so the lens isn't completely unusable.
    James,

My homemade extension board is made from Masonite with small square wooden posts in the corners for support. It is about two inches of extension and allows me to use the 300mm for most everything but "close ups".

There are extended board sets available on eBay, etc. with even more extension (and adjustable extension too) that would make the lens even more useful.

Best,

Doremus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like others I have problems using a 300mm Nikon M on a Wista, it'll focus OK but at full extension and isn't that stable unless it's a very still day.

I picked up a coated 17" f4.5 military telephoto a few months ago but it's shutter less and needs an aperture scale, this would focus easily on the Wista but I'm going to have to make an extension board so I can use it on my Speed graphic which was modified to be a WA camera (from new).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Like others I have problems using a 300mm Nikon M on a Wista, it'll focus OK but at full extension and isn't that stable unless it's a very still day.
    Ian
    I compared my buddy's Nikkor M 300mm and my Fujinon C 300mm on my Toyo 45AII and the shorter focus (290 vs 282) with the Fuji made a much bigger difference than I expected, in terms of close focus ability anyway. (I also compared my 305 G-Claron before getting rid of it. Very little close focusing ability ((published at 302mm)) on my Toyo and it was much heavier than either the Nikkor or Fujinon, thus less stable at full extension.)

My understanding is that the actual focus distance of each individual lens can vary a bit but the lenses I mentioned testing side by side definitely showed a significant difference in the order indicated by their published numbers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I had a Toyo 45AII I used the Fuji 300mm Telephoto. Worked just fine.

I now have a Chamonix and a Linhof MT, so no need for the telephoto -- I now use the Fujinon-C 300mm instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe Tessem View Post
    When I had a Toyo 45AII I used the Fuji 300mm Telephoto. Worked just fine.

I now have a Chamonix and a Linhof MT, so no need for the telephoto -- I now use the Fujinon-C 300mm instead.
    Your Fujinon-C 300 would have been even better than the telephoto as it's so much lighter and balances beautifully at full extension. It's flange focus being 282mm gives you 42mm past infinity to play with. It's been a while since I measured it but I believe it focuses as close as 8 or 9 feet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin