Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,877   Online: 1115

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doremus,
    Great ideas in there! Thanks for sharing that. I took a look at your website as well, some very fine work. =)

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I always take the disposable plastic shower caps from hotels. Great for covering a 4x5 folder in the rain. And, free...
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    I used to use those to cover the large end of motion picture lenses between setups in dusty locations. One time the cinematographer thought the scene looked good with it on so we shot the rest of the day that way.
    Good idea and cool story, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    This is quite eye opening. My (very different/strange) workflow is such that I never have to carry much at one time so it never really occurred to me how much "stuff" most of us actually have. I don't know how I would manage to keep it all organized in a portable way.
    So let's hear about this very different/strange workflow.

I suppose my kit sounds like quite a bit but it all packs into the F64 backpack with a little extra room and I have a specific spot for everything so I can access anything I need in a moment.

I forgot to add, I also carry a Toyo 3.6x loupe in a little fitted neoprene case my girl found for it somewhere and small blue tarp to set the pack down on mud if necessary. Still gotta add that level I lost... needed it the last time I was shooting 4x5. I'm going to stop at the hardware store tonight, I need a mouse trap too, unfortunately.

Also, what I love about my Harrison Classic darkcloth is the the shiny silver side acts as a great reflector PLUS it's waterproof so if it starts raining once I've set up (but before I expose my film) I will sometimes wrap the camera in it and wait it out. The F64 pack has one of those fold out rain covers which is nice if it starts pouring during a hike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    - Jack or Jack - ?

Yukon Jack I find repulsively sweet; Jack Daniels I find just palin repulsive. But I have been known to bring a pocket flasc of brandy or scnapps (real scnapps, not that sugary flavored stuff). You never know what you'll run into in these boondocks.
    scnapps is the real deal, but you need a still, or someone who has one.
    eau de vivre is good-stuff as long as you don't drink the whole flask ...

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My field camera cannot be collapsed with an installed lens. That leaves the bellows open to all manner of dust and flying debris, at put up and take down. I cut down an old plastic Kodak Grey Card to the size of the lens boards. I insert this whenever the lens has to be removed. It doubles as, wait for it, a grey card, useful occasionally in difficult lighting when I suspect my spot meter readings my be lying to me, or in color work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My small Lowe Pro 15L carries 4-5 lenses, Chamonix 45N2, polarizer, R72, 10 stop ND and a deep yellow filter with all the needed step up rings plus a couple of grads. It also holds water, snacks and spare clothing lashed to the outside. With my carbon fiber tripod, light ACRA-tech GP head and various other goodies, 6 film holders and a roll film or Kinematic 10 exposure back, the whole setup weighs in at 22 pounds. Over the years I have noticed how a light pack plays a big role in how long I can stay out, where I can go and how dynamic the resulting photos are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    My field camera cannot be collapsed with an installed lens. That leaves the bellows open to all manner of dust and flying debris, at put up and take down. I cut down an old plastic Kodak Grey Card to the size of the lens boards. I insert this whenever the lens has to be removed. It doubles as, wait for it, a grey card, useful occasionally in difficult lighting when I suspect my spot meter readings my be lying to me, or in color work.
    GREAT idea! I can't fold any of my lenses into my Toyo either. I'm cutting down a gray card tonight. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    View Omega 4x5, Bogen Tripod and 10 double sided film slides.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really would like to buy a bag for my LF, but i couldn't decide on one yet, here or on another websites i have hundreds of choices, everybody will feel happy with what they get, so i can't choose one over another if all or most are good enough.

Well, i won a lens for my Graphlex from ebay and just placed the order, also bought a ground glass for my Shen Hao hoping it will be better or bright to use over the manufacturer one came with it.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    …and then, of course, there's my giraffe.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Doremus,
    Great ideas in there! Thanks for sharing that. I took a look at your website as well, some very fine work. =) ...
    Shawn,

Thanks for the kind words.

At second glance, my list seems really long. However, I carry all that stuff around along with wooden folder, five lenses, meter, filters, and filmholders and hardly notice. The accessories are not really very bulky or heavy and fit in various pockets in my photo vest, which often remain unopened for months at a time

In another thread one poster mentioned that he had a cloth tape measure sewn into the edge of his darkcloth for measuring bellows extension. Great idea.
    My darkcloth is homemade; white Gore-Tex on the outside, black non-slip material on the inside. It has saved my camera from a few crashing breakers at the coast and kept me and my pack dry on rainy days as well.

As for packs: I prefer a lumbar pack with an additional shoulder strap. Then I can just unbuckle the hip belt and swing my pack around to my side and work out of it like a shoulder bag when setting up. The only thing that ever touches the ground when I work are the feet of my tripod (and my shoe soles, of course).

@ROL: Love the giraffe! I'll look for it on the trail.

Best,

Doremus

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin