Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,072   Online: 937

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Shawn. This is becoming an excellent list. I will only add a few things I don’t think have been mentioned.

People seeing that large 7x17 have actually asked where they might see or buy my work? Who am I to question their wisdom? I carry a small pack of business cards.

A professional carpenter friend told me that the smaller the bubble level the less accurate. The extreme being the tiny little things on our cameras or tripods. I carry a nine inch level with horizontal, vertical and 45 degree angle bubbles. This fits nicely front to back or side to side on either 8x10 or 7x17. It says Johnson Level & Tool on it, but there are many brands. They are available anywhere tools are sold.

I still carry a 2” face analog Heuer stop watch for those long exposures at f 45 and f 64. Yes I carry a smart phone that has a better one, but I am shooting analog and I like old watches.

There is a quart zip lock with: small pocket knife, 3’ Stanley metal tape, tweezers, slot and Phillips screw drivers, needle nose pliers, Linos or Rodenstock flat stainless Copal shutter wrench.

Long ago I read that a flat, 1/8” thick perforated 5.5” rubber pad, normally used in the kitchen to open jar lids, will keep a large camera from twisting on the tripod head. They wear out easily so there are two in my bag. I have found these in hardware or kitchen supply stores.

In the car I carry a two part five minute epoxy plunge dispenser and sand paper.

A thermos of hot coffee. Boy is that nice a couple of hours into a shoot, especially on a cold day.

The area where I am shooting is bordered by Lake Erie. A very commercial Cuyahoga River winds through the Flats. 600 foot freighters move up and down the river, by themselves, or with one or more tug boats or barges. The curves in the river are so sharp that the ships have to almost stop in the middle of the turn. Even high f stops and long exposures work there. Problem: When is the ship going to come up the river? When are the bridges going to swing or go up? Will there be a tug or two? Does a ship have to wait for a train to cross the lift bridge?

All commercial vessels have transponders just like airplanes. Marinetraffic.com has a cell phone app that will tell you what ships are in Cleveland, what ships are approaching or expected in Cleveland, at what time. At one minute intervals a ship will show as a moving dot on a map that also shows intersecting streets. This app reports on any marine traffic, anywhere in the world.

I’ll consult with the yellow Labrador ladies and see what else comes to mind.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 12-03-2013 at 08:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post

In the car I carry a two part five minute epoxy plunge dispenser and sand paper.

John Powers
    The edit feature was gone when I remembered you need something to hold tight what ever you are putting together with epoxy. I carry two small C clamps. This is for a quick fix of small things. Major repairs wait until I am home with a larger range of clamps.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two small, lightweight C clamps is a great idea, John. I'm going to have to stop at the hardware store.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have 6 film holders, a filter holder with 7 filters (#s 8, 12, 15, 25, 58, 81A, and CP) and 2 step up adapters, a couple pens, a spare pack of cigarettes, meter, loupe, small straight/philips screwdriver, zip strips, and steel clipboard. The clipboard holds my shot record, but has some laminated information. That information is light color, reciprocity information, a Planckian color chart, and my homemade filter/color chart. The filter/color chart shows the scale of colors from 430-720nm with the color gradient, and the data from the book on Wratten filter transmission for each range. This helps me decide what factor to use for each filter based on the color/wavelength and filter transmissions.

I use a laptop case for all that, and carry my camera separate. I only have 1 lens, so I don't need something to hold more. I'm not hiking far, or climbing mountains, so it's not too bad.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This is a pretty good thread for a newbie to read. Thanks, everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    NancyP welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How do you like your F1? I was considering getting the average no-back-movement folder like the N1, but wondered if I would miss back movements. I am a COMPLETE NEWBIE to LF. All I know is from reading Leslie Stroebel's view camera technique book and Dykinga's LF Nature Photography book, and imagining the geometry of shooting trees, shooting cliffs from close to the base, and so on.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Welcome to APUG, Nancy!

I hope to see you again at January's MoNEP meeting.

Alan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've found these items indispensable when shooting at night:

Red LED light: to set aperture/shutter speed at night and not loose night vision, http://www.gerbergear.com/Tactical/L...light_22-80016

Green laser pointer: I can point the laser at the subject and focus till the beam is a pinpoint on the ground glass, very helpful in dim light or when using slow lenses. http://www.laserpointerpro.com/2pcs-...en-p-1237.html

Night vision goggles/monocular: when I need to hike a few miles in the woods at night to get a sunrise shot and general nighttime use. http://tnvc.com/shop/anpvs-14-milspe...al-forces-kit/

Gerber multitool: A must have! http://www.gerbergear.com/Industrial...-Tool_22-41470

Chemlites: If I need to mark a hard to find trail out of or into the woodline, just hang them on a tree and they can be seen for a good 300-500 feet. They are also good for keeping in your bag to light it up at night. http://www.emergencyresponderproduct...rchwiroho.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use one of four view camera, all of which are packed in their cases ready to go with a 24 hour notice. There's really nothing special to note regarding items packed. The Camera and it's lens, the required stops, three plate/film holders, a focusing cloth, a stop watch, some wooden clothes clips, a tilt plate & the tripod. The only thing I carry now, that is different from the past, is a piece of sheet-plastic that is about 1.5'x1.5' square. Instead of setting the camera bag in the wet grass/ground, I place it on the sheet instead. Wet camera bags . . . not good.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin