Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,861   Posts: 1,583,169   Online: 736

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL. View Post
    The only thing I carry now, that is different from the past, is a piece of sheet-plastic that is about 1.5'x1.5' square. Instead of setting the camera bag in the wet grass/ground, I place it on the sheet instead. Wet camera bags . . . not good.
    It's a great idea. I carry a small tarp in the bottom of my pack as well, it fits in where the rain cover is stored. Keeps your bag and gear dry plus you don't get your back wet when it's time to pack up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I've found these items indispensable when shooting at night:
    .....laser pointer: I can point the laser at the subject and focus till the beam is a pinpoint on the ground glass...
    With a Crown/Speed Graphic or other range finder camera, shine the laser pointer through the eye sight hole of the range finder and focus the spot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A spirit level
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    A big bar of chocolate
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lord, the junk I have in my bag. Just off the top of my head...

Flashlight with a little clip on red filament for low light where I don't want to spend ten minutes getting used to the low light again.

First aid kit, a couple tissue packs and flint and steel. Well, you never know.

Battery operated pocket claculator.

Handheld compass.

Pocket knife, more for sharpening pencils than anything else.

Roll of duct tape, black.

Two or three handwarming pouches (Hot Hands), mittens, winter cap, sunglasses.

I take some trail mix in pouches to munch on if I am out all day.

Mini tool kit that includes bits and a screwdriver handle and wire cutters.

All of this goes in the framed army backpack. I don't have any musette pouches as there are external pockets all over the thing. Hard case for lenses and filters and the camera will go in the main body. Film holders and film and changing bag into a garbage bag. And tripod ties to the bottom easy enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found those chilled zip-up lunchboxes really handy, as they're padded and modular when you pack them into a bag together. I decided against a super expensive lowepro (was looking at $400!!) and just went with a $60 backpack from some backalley bag shop.

(no idea why tinypic kept flipping these pics around )

In small blue lunchbox: perfect size to hold 7 film holders

In red lunchbox:

Blue, orange, red, green, IR, dark red & Joel Tjintjelaar 3,6&10 stop IRND filter set.
    LEE GND filter kit
    LEE filter holder
    Skink pinhole kit (still to figure out how to use the bloody thing)
    6x Loupe
    90-210mm viewer

Large blue PROVET chilled lunchbox:

Schneider 90mm 5.6
    Schneider 135mm 5.6
    Rodenstock 150mm 5.6 Sironar-N
    Nikkor 210mm 5.6
    Nikkor-M 300mm 9
    FIlter rings for each lens

Also the backpack holds my dark cloth, notebook, the Sekonic lightmeter in it's pouch attached to the side, a LEE Lens shade, Toyo 45AII, and Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod & tripod head.
    Last edited by alex gard; 03-19-2014 at 12:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

My 4x5 field kit:
    Schneider 90mm SA, 150mm Symmar-S, 210mm Symmar-S, 305mm G-Claron.
    Zone VI Vermont 4x5 and bag bellows.
    6-8 film holders
    small level
    tiny 3' tape measure
    notebook with reciprocity tables and other information for various films
    pencils wound with gaffer tape
    sharpie
    Toyo 4x loupe
    small flashlight
    lens cleaning kit
    microfiber cloth or old cotton dish cloth
    white kitchen garbage bag
    Pentax V spot meter
    UV, 8Y, 12Y, 21O, 25R, Polarizing and 81C Tiffen 77mm filters and various adapter rings
    Lee lens shade
    BTZS dark cloth (compact and very light)
    All this fits in a Zone VI white "cooler" shoulder bag.
    I carry a couple of compact "ice cream coolers" or insulated fabric lunch boxes in the car for additional film holders.

For longer road trips I have a huge Tenba 4x5 bag that holds all this plus a 360mm Tele-Xenar and a 120mm Super Angulon, and a few more holders. This starts to get really heavy. The bag itself weighs a lot, and even with the built-in collapsible backpack straps, it's a bit much. I'm contemplating switching to a PhotoBackpacker setup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here the Technorama 617S.
    One has to feed a lot of film to a panoramic camera, and time is crucial too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WHAT'S IN YOUR BAG 3.JPG  
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a Norma chucked in a 17 inch notebook backpack so I travel light. Apart from the actual camera and lens I bring a cable release, light meter, folding magnifier, spirit level, notebook and pen and a small tool pouch. A black t-shirt as hood, a few film holders and a bunch of square P size filters rounds it off. That's it.
    Last edited by Sibben; 04-22-2014 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Modified Anniversary Speed Graphic (Moded: No Rangefinder/viewing tube, no focal plane shutter)
    Kodak Ektar f:7.7 203mm
    Schneider-Kreuznack Angulon 1:6,8/90
    Fuji Funjinon-W 1:5.6/125
    Filters (Yellow, Orange, Red, ND 4x, CPOL, Green, 89b) - Considering adding in a 81b
    Pentax Spotmeter V, Gossen Pilot, Sektonic L-358
    Cable Release
    Manfrotto Tripod
    10 Holders
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin