Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,947   Online: 1125

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For big trips, I would only take medium format. I can't carry enough film holders for a day of good shooting, nor do I want to spend the time every evening loading and unloading holders. On my previous overseas trips, I found myself shooting about 30-50 frames/day (3-5 rolls of 6x7) which is just not feasible for me in LF but is trivial for medium format.

Can you get a 70mm back for the 'blad? That stuff is compact: you get about 70 frames of 6x6 (without reloading!) in a little metal can about 3x the volume of a 120 roll. Developing can be a chore though.

For shorter trips and especially where you don't expect to get many shots per day, sure, take the 4x5. I'm going to Perth for a week tomorrow, and I will be taking my Toyo 45A, 12 holders, 3 lenses and a couple boxes of TMY2 all in a little backpack.

Edit: while I like markbarendt's Option C, transport might be an issue. Your film and cameras should only be in the carry-on luggage when flying and I certainly can't fit both my LF and MF systems into one bag. They're each a whole bagful including film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    +2
    +3. Eithe do the Hassy only or Split with the easy to carry Rollie and the 4x5 Press. Best of all worlds.
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Don't take any of that.

Buy a Mamiya 7 with lenses and take that, a lot more portable, better lenses, perfect!

Also I think you're taking you many roles of film... I mean ... 80?

I took 15 rolls into the Grand Canyon and only used 9...

Unless you're a "Gunner"...

Either way, choose the portable option if you're going to be shooting "around" your busy schedule, take the LF if you can actually schedule time (like a whole day) just for photos...

LF takes all day...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what you own, I'd take the rollei.. I always take mine when I know I won't have much time to spend alone with my camera..
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever you take there will be moments of regret. I've traveled with a lot of different combos from an XA in my pocket to dragging an entire 8x10 system along (not recommended to be honest). I think I would go for the Hasselblad option (documenting Sweden with a hassy is a nice touch). Remember that Sweden in December is a pretty dark place. In the northernmost part the sun does not rise at all (north of the arctic circle). Even in the southern part there will not be too much light so LF could be difficult. During summer it is the opposite.
    Could it be possible to borrow equipment? There are some Swedes here spread over the country.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

LF takes all day...
    only for some people ... for others it is just as fast as anything else ..
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    For big trips, I would only take medium format. I can't carry enough film holders for a day of good shooting, nor do I want to spend the time every evening loading and unloading holders. On my previous overseas trips, I found myself shooting about 30-50 frames/day (3-5 rolls of 6x7) which is just not feasible for me in LF but is trivial for medium format.
    This exactly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone earlier mentioned the weather. In Sweden in December it gets so cold your face will fall off. Spain will be better, but France will also be cold. I would take the camera that requires the least kerfuffle for your hands to operate. Setting up a 4x5 with fiddly knobs and film holders etc is asking for trouble. A hasselblad with extra backs solves the problem and can easily be used with gloves.

I would go with the Hasselblad, only because I've got one.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    only for some people ... for others it is just as fast as anything else ..
    Yea if you have a speed graphic, or don't care about hand holding your images for 30 seconds with all sorts of blur where you can't really tell what the image is, but it's "artistic" hehe
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    when i do work for clients, documenting the built environment for archives &c, it doesn't take me an hour or half hour to set up
    the shot ... and that includes surveying the site for locations i am going to photograph, schlepping the tripod and camera &c to the site
    from the car setting up the camera on the tripod, selecting a lens, focusing &c ...
    i always laugh out loud when people say or suggest that large format photography has to be slow or it's no good
    it is as slow or as fast as you want ....
    i am referring to 4x5 - 8x10 ...
    and last night i made so portraits with a 7x11 / 11x14 camera that didn't take an hour to compose either ...
    not sure why people insist LF has to be painstakingly slow i worked for a portrait photographer ( 5x7 camera ) who had appointments every 15 minutes all day long
    and i assisted highend annual report and architectural people back in the 1980s as well
    if it took 1hour to make or compose or whatever each photograph, they would have been out of work in a heartbeat ...

heck if LF has to be so slow, then every other format should follow suit ... people use tripods for 35mm as well as MF for shutter speeds slower than the focal length
    of the lens on the camera ... if such "care" is taken for LF it should follow for everything ...
    im empty, good luck

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin