Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,940   Online: 940

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the hassy works but is a bit bulky.a mirrorless 6x6 such as the Mamiya 6 is a great travel option.it's light,handy and has great optics. and it uses common 120 film!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    the hassy works but is a bit bulky.a mirrorless 6x6 such as the Mamiya 6 is a great travel option.it's light,handy and has great optics. and it uses common 120 film!
    Yes I agree as I said earlier with the Mamiya 7 either one would be good, light, accurate, great lenses.

But if you're not wanting to buy a new system, go with the MF for travel unless as I said you have whole days to devote to LF.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    But if you're not wanting to buy a new system, go with the MF for travel unless as I said you have whole days to devote to LF.
    Yes, I am doing my best to avoid buying any more systems at the time being... I'd rather build a good, complete set of one MF system and one LF system. Once I have more cash I am planning upgrade from the Busch to a Nagaoka/Anba/Tachihara and to buy a nice set of three or so lenses. I am quite happy with the three lens set on the Hasselblad, I don't lust for any others. I've spent less on my three lens Hasselblad set then it would cost me to get a good condition Mamiya 7 and one lens (remarkable, really, how cheap you can obtain deluxe MF SLR equipment for).

I will have full (8+ hour) days to devote to photography, but it certainly won't be every day of the trip. I have to say, I partially convinced myself to buy into Hasselblad over Mamiya or Pentax because I thought it would be a better system to take on trips, so I might feel a twinge of guilt if I didn't bring it. After a lot of thought, I think I'll axe the 250mm if I bring it, even though I *know* I will want it a few times. That being said, my girlfriend has lodged a vote for Pressman, and I would hate to disappoint her...

I think I will test pack for each set and see how each feels. Or maybe processing my most recent shots with each tonight will bring some light onto the matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do my serious work with Hasselbalds. The rest are for just playing around.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's fun to watch these threads -- a seemingly simple question can produce a different answer from just about every respondent. My limited experience with traveling around Europe a bit has taught me a couple of things. One is that if I'm traveling with family members, it's a waste to bring much gear. There's just too many distractions keeping track of what's going on. The second is that traveling on public transit, the less 'stuff' to carry, the better.

If I were headed over there again with family members, I would probably take my Perkeo II with a small pile of B&W film, and the fairly recent high end point&shoot of -- uh -- 'alternate technology' (Canon G15) that I recently acquired (as opposed to a previous dSLR). If the travel effort was a bit less complicated, I might replace the Perkeo with my Yashica 124G. I'm sure I would occasionally wish I had my Bronica SQ-A, but that's quite a handful, especially if one wanted an extra lens or two, or extra back, or finder. No matter what one has at hand, there is always some circumstance that stretches its resources a little.

Methinks it's best to go with a limited selection of familiar gear that can be packed compactly and carried easily, and learn to live with it.

(But that's just me.)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jspillane View Post
    Hi all,

I am taking a lengthy trip this December/January, leaving the confines of New York for a few weeks in Sweden, Spain and France. While I'll be quite busy with other projects, I am also planning to take a large quantity of photographs during this trip. I'm a bit torn between two camera options, and wanted to get opinions from the masses...

Option A:
    Busch Pressman Model 'D'
    Wollensak-Raptar 135mm f4.7
    6-8 film holders
    6x7 back
    75 sheets of B&W 4x5 sheet film
    10 or so rolls of color 120

Option B:
    Hasselblad 500c
    60mm CB / 120 S-Planar / 250 CT*
    waist level finder, maybe a chimney finder
    80-100 rolls of 120, mixture of B&W and color (probably 70% B&W)

Weight/space wise, Option A will be considerably less. I would be likely to bring the same tripod/head with either set. Shooting all 120 will result in a lot more images, as well as the ability to do more handheld shots, but it will also end up exhausting a lot more of my film budget. While color large format work is just out of my budget right now, the 6x7 back opens up the option if necessary. I, sadly, am not able to optically enlarge in my current living situation, so MF is all scanned and archived for future printing. I contact print my 4x5 work.

Maybe I tipped my preference by posting this in the LF forum rather than the MF, but I oscillate back and forth. I do find the idea of documenting Sweden with a Hasselblad novel (I got to shoot Berlin with a Rolleiflex last year and greatly enjoyed it...) but certainly not essential. I could bring the Rolleiflex instead, obviously cutting my weight back a lot, but it is also much more limited and I think I will be doing a lot of landscapes and architecture. The limitation of a single lens bothers me less with 4x5 (and I suppose I could set my mind to getting a telephoto lens to bring as well, but I don't currently own one).

Thanks for any advice and opinions in advance!
    Oh If the girlfriend says bring the large-format, then definitely do that, take advantage of it when you can because I know at least from my own personal experience that it's not often they are okay with you bringing the gear that takes longer to work with
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Overseas travel and not a photo trip?....without question the Hasselblad and no more than two lenses. I do this all the time with a 501CM, 60 & 100 CF and get great results, decent sized kit, fantastic photographs. All that matters in photography is the impact of the photos you got, so use gear that stays out of the way.

If it were me I would bring either the two lens Hassy kit or my dinky bag with an M3 / 50 1.4 lux and my Xpan with three lenses, that kit rocks for overseas.....

Don't get me wrong, I love 4x5, just souped 130 sheets in a row as part of a marathon film souping session. But it is a LOT more to deal with overseas, even John Sexton leaves his Technika stateside preferring the Hasselblad for overseas work.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ...even John Sexton leaves his Technika stateside preferring the Hasselblad for overseas work.
    Did John replace his SL-66 kit with a Hasselblad at some point?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Everything is determined by Murphy's law. If I travel with MF, I'll wish I had the 4x5 instead, and visa versa. No big deal. One can only print
    so many shots anyway. But in general, I prefer the biggest format that is practical to carry. I won't risk my 8x10 or best lenses of a flight
    destination, however, even when its all in the carry-on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Did John replace his SL-66 kit with a Hasselblad at some point?
    Took one of his printing classes last year, he mentioned his and hers Hasselblad's when sight seeing and not any sl66.

Mike

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin