Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,159   Online: 779

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understood that he was influenced by AAto get into Hasselblad.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Alright. I've debated and agonized, and done some shooting, and I think I've got a new plan.

Option D:

Busch Pressman
    100-125 sheets of 4x5 (various emulsions)
    Canonet QL17 GIII
    20-30 rolls of 35mm (50/50 B&W and color)

It's as light as bringing the Hasselblad 60mm/120mm, but I think more versatile, in that the Canonet can fit in my pocket, and i can get nice, massive negatives from the Pressman to contact print when I return.
    I'm sure i'll be sad not to have the Hasselblad, but it will be waiting for me when I get back... I mostly like to use it on a tripod with flashes and models, which isn't likely to be part of the equation on this trip. Also, if by some stroke of bad luck the Busch and Canonet are both stolen/destroyed/lost, combined they cost me less than the Zeiss 60mm CB alone.

Thanks for all the feedback... If I get good results I will be sure to share them!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sounds splendid - I take a Wista 5x4 & a Fuji 6x8 rangefinder on travels now, and never regret it (well perhaps the 5x4 at the very top of a steep climb sometimes)... but the negs when you get home (and revisiting all the memories contained within), well that's special.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    President, Melbourne Silver Mine Inc.
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/
    http://silvermine.org.au

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am currently in the Costa Brava of Spain having traveled also in France (Arles and Aix en Provence) as well as along the coast. It has been very windy with winds up to perhaps 50mph so if they are typical for the time of your trip the 4x5 could be tricky. We also had heavy rain but has been partly cloudy with some sunny days as well. I have been in Normandy and Brittany in late November and early December and it was cold and rainy.

I have with me two Hasselblad bodies, 150mm, 50mm and 2x plus three filters and a spot meter. I have a small but sturdy Gitzo carbon fiber tripod with a ball head. I took 24 rolls of Delta 400 and don,t think I will use all. Roads are narrow and there is rarely a place to pull off so shooting has been from deliberate locations and we are also sight seeing, etc. The pack weighs about 25lbs so in a city I carry a daypack with one body and the two lenses.

We are heading to Barcelona in a couple of hours so the tripod has been put to bed.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jspillane View Post
    Alright. I've debated and agonized, and done some shooting, and I think I've got a new plan.

Option D:

Busch Pressman
    100-125 sheets of 4x5 (various emulsions)
    Canonet QL17 GIII
    20-30 rolls of 35mm (50/50 B&W and color)

It's as light as bringing the Hasselblad 60mm/120mm, but I think more versatile, in that the Canonet can fit in my pocket, and i can get nice, massive negatives from the Pressman to contact print when I return.

Thanks for all the feedback... If I get good results I will be sure to share them!
    Get bigger pockets and carry the Hassy?
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    If I were headed over there again with family members, I would probably take my Perkeo II with a small pile of B&W film, and the fairly recent high end point&shoot of -- uh -- 'alternate technology' (Canon G15) that I recently acquired (as opposed to a previous dSLR). If the travel effort was a bit less complicated, I might replace the Perkeo with my Yashica 124G. I'm sure I would occasionally wish I had my Bronica SQ-A, but that's quite a handful, especially if one wanted an extra lens or two, or extra back, or finder. No matter what one has at hand, there is always some circumstance that stretches its resources a little.

Methinks it's best to go with a limited selection of familiar gear that can be packed compactly and carried easily, and learn to live with it.
    +1

I shoot "all that" - film in 4x5, 120, 35mm, dslrs and point and shoots, but I don't usually take anything other than my Canon g12 with a small bogen tripod with Gitzo's smallest ballhead. I save the other stuff for the trunk of my car or hiking locally. I'm always with other members of the family, and don't want to hold them back while I set up 4x5 for instance. If I was traveling solo and staying for an extended time it might be different. It's freeing to walk through airports and have everything on me in the vest I'm wearing, and nothing in my checked luggage except for clothing and toothpaste, all easily replaced.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I took a 4x5 Toyo to Russia a couple of years ago. It was great having it, but I won't do that again unless I have a bevy of carriers. Last year I followed the advice of those here and bought a Mamiya 7 to take. It is super light weight and takes magnificent photos. It is a little expensive but worth ever penny. Now I am never hindered by weight or fussy set up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I travel for work or for a family vacation (ie, any trip that is not explicitly dedicated to photography), I take either the 4x5 Crown Graphic with standard 135mm lens and a handful of film holders, or an old 6x9 folder. That's it!

EDIT: my avatar is a photo of me with a Crown Graphic on the Galapagos Islands....yes, I photographed the Galapagos with only a 4x5 Crown Graphic, ten film holders, a changing bag and LOTS of film!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd opt to use the Hasselblad with 60mm lens, lighter, faster, and superb resolution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if weight is a big concern,consider Mamiya 6 with 50 and 75mm lenses,otherwise a Hasselblad 500 will work just fineif you have a schlepper with you.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin