Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,047   Online: 973

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'd need to find an early Graflex catalogue to see the exact model name. It's front standard and track bed are the same as a Pre-anniversary Speed Graphic, and quite obviously it's a pre-cursor to the later Crown Graphics looking exactly like a an early Top handled Speed Graphic except having no shutter. That should give you a date of manufacture somewhere between 1912 & 1927.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cycle Graphic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1917 was when Kodak renamed an earlier company purchase into "Folmer & Schwing Department of the Eastman Kodak Co"

1926 was when this was shunted off in a court ordered fire sale to a holding company "Folmer Graflex Corporation" so from the faceplate it's somewhere in that era.

I went trolling through old manuals (http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogsekc.htm) which contain some amazing cameras (specialty portrait, naturalist and stereo! varieties) and don't see any mention of this body without the shutter in the box.

Maybe it's a custom build or a custom order item? It would be a simple matter to slice off the shutter and glue the focusing panel back on for a home modification. I have an anniversary era 4x5 that someone did something very similar, sliced off the original spring back and retrofit a graflok so it's not unheard of.

I love a mystery and hope someone has an answer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not in any of the F&S/Kodak Catalogues and it's not a Cycle Graphic. However as stated above there were cameras made for special orders.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Walter, return the front standard to the body as if closing. Look at the under side of the camera top, there is possibly a 5 or 6 digit number stamped on the right side as you face the camera in normal orientation.
    http://www.graflex.org/articles/kingslake/ is a more accurate history of Graflex Corp.
    Please post the serial number when you find it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's not in any of the F&S/Kodak Catalogues and it's not a Cycle Graphic. However as stated above there were cameras made for special orders.

Ian
    Really? See here http://piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs...aflexlp943.htm, p. 38

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    That's a completely different camera to the OP's which is similar to the Speed Graphic on page 40 of that catalogue except for having no shutter..

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Is this a Pre-Anniversary? I stole this from ebay. While the metal vertical pieces and knobs look like mine, I think the whole front part is wider. Also on mine the bottom sheetmetal piece that holds the lens board doesn't move, and this one does. So I don't think it's a Pre-Anniversary.

I looked at the catalog, discovered if you click it, a photo shows up. That RB Cycle Graphic is much fancier than mine. Way too many knobs on the bed and the focus rails are wood, where mine are steel.

Speaking of steel. The Speed Graphic on that same catalog looks really close to mine--even has the wood part under the lens board. But while that model's metal is painted a battleship grey, mine looks like it's been blued rather than painted. Except it's not blue. More confusion. Also that camera has the rails that sit on top of the bed, while rails sit in a notch or groove and sit flush with either side of the bed. (see second photo)

Oh man they do hide that serial number: 56,981
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PreA.jpg   OddSpeedCU.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That serial number is listed as a Spec. 3x4 Speed Graphic. Only 6 were made on the job number. No way to tell the date but possibly 1912-1918 range.
    The hardware finish is .00005 silver plating on brass. Any attempt to clean with metal polish of any kind will remove the silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Dan Fromm
    I think it looks like a late model cycle graphic. The cycle graphic was the precursor to the crown and speed models.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin