Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,660   Online: 950

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

What model Speed Graphic?

I'm trying to figure out the dizzying names of cameras used by Graflex. The camera is a 4x5 has a bed and a body like a Speed Graphic, but doesn't have nor ever had a focal plane shutter. The lensboard is wood, but no lens. Metal parts are kinda grey, not shiny aluminum or chrome. I'll try to post a photo if i can figure out how.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Its a Crown Graphic if it has no focal plane shutter.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    Its a Crown Graphic if it has no focal plane shutter.

David
    Crowns have metal lensboards. He may not even have a Graphic.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I made a wooden lensboard for my Crown Graphic: point taken though it could be a Burke and James...

David
    I think that the Busch Pressman is of higher quality, but the Graflex had great design features

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's the serial # on the camera, it's usually located inside the front door that folds down to make the bed and focusing rails.

You can look up Graflex serial number ranges here: http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/serials.html to find both model and manufacture date within a year or so.

For a camera that features easily exchanged lenses, relying on lensboard material to identify models seems a bit dangerous. Blackened hardware will place you in the WW2 war years, as will a lack of chromed parts but less reliably, and neither says anything about what model the camera is.

I have to side with Team Crown Graphic based on what we know so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaiithulhu View Post
    You can look up Graflex serial number ranges here: http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/serials.html to find both model and manufacture date within a year or so.
    Unfortunately this isn't quite correct.

Graflex Inc. and predecessors assigned serial numbers sequentially in blocks (smallest block size, 1) from the beginning until the introduction of Pacemaker Graphics in 1947. So for cameras made before 1947, s/n carries no information about which model has it.

In 1947, Graflex Inc. changed its procedure and assigned large blocks of serial numbers to Pacemaker Graphics by type (Speed, Crown) and size (2x3, 3x4, 4x5). In 1949 another block of serial numbers was set aside for the Century Graphic. So Century Graphic and early Pacemaker Graphics serial numbers identify the cameras by type and size.

And then later in 1949 they merged the Pacemaker Graphic s/n blocks by type and started assigning serial numbers by size within merged block. From then on, serial number can't be used to tell a Speed Graphic from a Crown Graphic.

I haven't checked, so could be mistaken, but I believe that Graflex started putting a metal s/n plate on the inside of the outer bed (= front door) with Pacemaker Graphics. Before then the s/n was stamped somewhere on the inside of the box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Waiting for photo..............
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I hope this works. It says Folmer & Schwing Division of Eastman Kodak Co. So I don't think it's a Burke & James. But at the same time, it doesn't say Speed Graphic either. As you can see it has posts on top for something. A handle? from that link showing all the models, that would make it a Top Handle Speed, except if it doesn't have an FP shutter, it's a Crown. So it's a Top Handle Crown, but they didn't make Crowns until after the WWII and they didn't make Top Handle Speeds after World War I (ish)

See why I'm confused?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OddSpeed.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter S. View Post
    See why I'm confused?
    Yup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin