Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,941   Posts: 1,585,710   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remember what you did, because if you used "extremely liberal amounts of 3 in 1" you may be going back soon to CLA all over again. Or did you really mean "really conservative amounts..."? Less is more with the oil.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    3in1 is a petroleum blend that migrates and dries to a gummy residue as does its parent company product Water Dispersant #40.
    TriFlow, watch/clock oil, gun oil are best.
    White lithium grease works well anywhere a grease is called for.
    Shutter repair guides instructions for lubrication: Oil-apply a drop and wipe off the excess to leave a light sheen only. Alternative apply oil to felt pad, touch the shaft to be lubed to the felt pad, wipe off the excess leaving a light sheen.
    Grease- apply a dab about the size of a straight pin head or less to the surface where metal parts slide against one another or spring ends slide against the case.

Congratulations on getting it fixed.

For those reading this Compur had a special jig for assembling the aperture blades. They lay in place and a breeze that will move a small down feather will displace them as will a slight touch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    3in1 is a petroleum blend that migrates and dries to a gummy residue as does its parent company product Water Dispersant #40.
    Shutter repair guides instructions for lubrication: Oil-apply a drop and wipe off the excess to leave a light sheen only. Alternative apply oil to felt pad, touch the shaft to be lubed to the felt pad, wipe off the excess leaving a light sheen.
    Grease- apply a dab about the size of a straight pin head or less to the surface where metal parts slide against one another or spring ends slide against the case.

For those reading this Compur had a special jig for assembling the aperture blades. They lay in place and a breeze that will move a small down feather will displace them as will a slight touch.
    What he^^^^said about 3 in 1.
    A proper amount would be a drop from a pinhead. A small one.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to shutterfinger and everyone else for all the info and corrections, I'm updating my personal CLA setup for the next time I do maintenance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Do yourself a favor and send it to someone who will do a proper job, like Flutot's. Brushing solvent around will just redistribute the dirt, and I can tell you from personal experience that the composite aperture blades are insanely fragile.
    What he said! Carol at Flutot's will do it properly and inexpensively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post

That's about what I did, I put the oil in an oil dispenser thing used for sewing machines in the 40s with a very fine tip, I put a small screwdriver with the cloth on the end to clean up the excess, it's been very well, except for one thing that happened this weekend.

It managed to come clean off the camera lens board and all, almost fell into the Keys! But I grabbed it and it was stuck at 1/10.....the wheel was hung up on the apparatus that accepts the shutter cable. That has been cleared and its back to normal operation.

So far so good!
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How do you have it attached? bubble gum? bailing wire? fishing line? tape? forgot to tighten the lock nut?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course! Just my luck......it lasted a good day in the Keys, the whole lensboard and everything fell flat on its face off the camera and onto the dock in Pigeon Key and now 1/50th and 1/100th, actually all speeds but 1/200 jam open sometimes and the cocking mechanism is notchy once in a while.

Well that one day was pretty good at least......where do I send it and how much am I looking at

I took the plate off and looked around and can't seem to figure out what is causing this.

I had tightened the lock nut before loading it but I guess handling it in Pigeon Key (and a 2 mile walk I suppose) loosened it.
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    Of course! Just my luck......it lasted a good day in the Keys, the whole lensboard and everything fell flat on its face off the camera and onto the dock in Pigeon Key and now 1/50th and 1/100th, actually all speeds but 1/200 jam open sometimes and the cocking mechanism is notchy once in a while.

Well that one day was pretty good at least......where do I send it and how much am I looking at

I took the plate off and looked around and can't seem to figure out what is causing this.

I had tightened the lock nut before loading it but I guess handling it in Pigeon Key (and a 2 mile walk I suppose) loosened it.
    Flutot's.
    How much are you looking at? Likely significantly more than if you had left it alone and sent it there in the first place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was fine until I dropped it, CLA'd or not that kind of a drop would have caused that anyway.

Damn Murphy and his stupid laws, someone needs to find him and make him take a long walk off a short pier
    Random 35mm stuff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin