Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,822   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to clean self-timer on Compur Deckel-Munchen?

Wanted to CLA my Compur, it's the old style with the cardboard aperture blades. Self timer, 1 and 2 are a little slow, the timer itself takes minutes to actuate the shutter. How do I clean do I just brush isopropyl alchohol around it or something? I heard you cant submerge them in alcohol because of the aperture but this one I can remove the aperture assembly completely so would it still be safe?
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do yourself a favor and send it to someone who will do a proper job, like Flutot's. Brushing solvent around will just redistribute the dirt, and I can tell you from personal experience that the composite aperture blades are insanely fragile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you do it for the first time, please 'do not' do it. Shutter fix is not that expensive if you give to a pro...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In any case, isopropyl alcohol has a high water content and isn't what you would use. I'd follow the advice to get a CLA done by someone experienced.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Isopropyl Alcohol comes in two versions 70% and 90%. Use the 90% version if available. Water or not it works slowly.
    Search engine Compur Service Manual, there is one on line and it's been linked to on this site several times.
    The shutters in the manual are refinements of the old and the build is similar. I used two different shutters in the manual to service a 1940's shutter, aperture and shutter blades were the same on one shutter and the trimming/ cocking the same on another.
    Flushing a shutter is a stop gap measure to use in a pinch and should be followed up with a full disassembly CLA as soon as possible after flushing to get through the photo shoot.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Deckel warned for flushing parts of Compur shutters coated with low-friction lacquer. So the general advice of flushing all mechanical parts of those shutters should be taken with caution. Furhermore any effective flushing would likely harm the oil and grease installed in those shutters and would make necessary a re-lubrication.

Whether this lacquer and lubrication issue applies on that self-release section has to be looked up in the repair manual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://benoit.suaudeau.perso.neuf.fr...air/01-03.html Compur manual for reference.

I'd suggest denatured alcohol or naptha, both found cheaply at hardware stores and both with no worry over 10% water.

Shutterfinger's advice is the same as what I've heard elsewhere and I trust it completely.

In the end shutters like these aren't made anymore and we are the guardians of the last remaining, working examples of a century of mechanical engineering

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Denatured Alcohol strips coatings and dissolves adhesives. DO NOT USE on shutters, may even strip paint on the case.
    Naphtha- key ingredient in the shade tree favorite, lighter fluid. May leave a residue. Questionable.
    Lacquer Thinner- excellent degreaser. Will remove protective coatings and strip paint/lacquer used on shutters. DO NOT USE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Success! I decided that while I had the day off work I would do the full CLA. Got everything apart, the whole reason for all of this was one of the screws came out of the bottom of the aperture assembly and was rolling around in the shutter, so I got it out and re-assembled the aperture assembly, holy crap no wonder manufacturers use 6 and 5 blades now, this one has 10 and I had to do it twice because the first time I didn't align the wheel properly with the screw holes. But....I managed to get it together one way or another and re-assembled it, it's cherry now.

So I got that back together then moved to the shutter, I pulled the blades and gave them a good cleaning. Almost used Isopropyl Alcohol, then read this post switched to Naptha....which was recommended on an old Zenit camera I did a CLA on, to clean up the inside. Everything was looking good, I then used an extremely liberal amount of 3 in 1 on both gear drives, probably a drop at best each and worked the shutter a few times. I used this on the Zenit and a Minolta RF I CLA'd as well with much success. I used a small cloth to wipe any excess so it didn't bleed into the shutter assembly. The self-timer works now and all of the speeds are dead nuts accurate. Everything is so smooth this shutter has never been this nice. I would say she is ready for battle again!
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great!!!
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin