Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,389   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the many great ideas, I'm searching around and keeping my eyes peeled. 240mm g-claron sounds very good. I am a little worried that 210 won't be telephoto enough for my purposes; my girlfriend has a Ilex-Caltar 210mm on her monorail and while it is certainly a step up I wouldn't mind a little more reach. That being said, I'd love to be able to close the camera with the lens mounted, but that may be a pipe dream.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Wollensak tele-raptar 10" 5.6? It looks like it will fit and I've seen scattered positive things said about it, but limited serious discussion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jspillane View Post
    Thanks for the many great ideas, I'm searching around and keeping my eyes peeled. 240mm g-claron sounds very good. I am a little worried that 210 won't be telephoto enough for my purposes; my girlfriend has a Ilex-Caltar 210mm on her monorail and while it is certainly a step up I wouldn't mind a little more reach. That being said, I'd love to be able to close the camera with the lens mounted, but that may be a pipe dream.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Wollensak tele-raptar 10" 5.6? It looks like it will fit and I've seen scattered positive things said about it, but limited serious discussion.
    10"/5.6 TeleRaptar/TeleOptar? I had one years ago, didn't like it and replaced it with a process lens.

10"/5.6 TeleRaptar/TeleOptar? They were the longest standard issue lens for 2x3 Graphics, second-longest standard issue for 4x5 Graphics. Most of the comments about them on www.graflex.org are very positive.

I may have had a clinker. Its rarely possible to draw conclusions from a sample of 1.

Shooter
    Large Format
    15" Graflex tele-Optar. I've only used my a handful of times but it's always been a pleasure to work with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    15" Graflex tele-Optar. I've only used my a handful of times but it's always been a pleasure to work with.
    Big lens though. I recently bought one---haven't shot with it yet because I don't have a lensboard to fit, but when I unpacked it I experienced a certain amount of "OMG, what have I done?" angst. I guess it's not really intended for handholding, and in the context of carrying a tripod around it doesn't add that much bulk, but it's a pretty intimidating hunk of metal.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Big lens though. I recently bought one---haven't shot with it yet because I don't have a lensboard to fit, but when I unpacked it I experienced a certain amount of "OMG, what have I done?" angst. I guess it's not really intended for handholding, and in the context of carrying a tripod around it doesn't add that much bulk, but it's a pretty intimidating hunk of metal.

-NT
    The only downside is that you need either a Speed or similar press camera with a focal plane shutter. Weight aside, they are excellent portrait lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    The only downside is that you need either a Speed or similar press camera with a focal plane shutter. Weight aside, they are excellent portrait lenses.
    Mine actually came in a shutter. Alphax, I think. I don't know if they could originally be bought that way or if someone did a retrofit.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Mine actually came in a shutter. Alphax, I think. I don't know if they could originally be bought that way or if someone did a retrofit.

-NT
    They were offered in shutter and in barrel, as the customer wanted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've recently grabbed a 10" Tele-Optar that came in this huge Graphex shutter, I've seen them listed both ways like Mr. Fromm said.

The jury is still out on mine, glass is in great shape but I haven't developed the test 4x5 sheets yet. Staring at the GG with a loupe is nice, though, the f5.6 is nice and bright to work with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin