Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,051   Online: 945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mild Telephoto recommendations for Busch Pressman Model 'D'?

I've searched around both here at the Large Format Photography forums, and while I've seen a few possibilities I've been keeping my eye on, I thought it might be worth while to inquire here as well.

I am rapidly becoming more involved in large format shooting after focusing primarily on MF for sometime. The primary reason for this is that in my current living situation (small apartment in Brooklyn), MF enlargements are not an easy option, and I do not find scans satisfactory (at least not the scans I can afford to achieve). I have taken to contact printing 4x5 which, although small, provides some kind of finished product which I enjoy, and leaves me with boxes of negatives I can revisit down the road.

My primary LF camera is a Busch Pressman Model 'D', and I have been working with great satisfaction with the lens that came on it, a Wollensak Raptar 135mm. For most work in other formats, I prefer a mild tele lens (120-135 on MF, 75-90 on 35mm). I know LF is a bit different in what one can do with a given focal length, but I am trying to find something roughly equivalent that will mount and focus on a Pressman 'D'. I think this will be in the 210-270 range, as anything longer than that likely won't work well.

For reference, bellows draw on the camera is about 12 inches, lens boards are quite small and probably can only fit copal #0 and #1 shutters and smaller. I'd like some movements but I would accept less for a more compact design, superior speed or performance. While obviously I am looking for myself, I'd love to get a general list of what works out there for any other Model 'D' owners looking for options...

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and experience!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...llensak_5.html The 10" (254 mm) is the one you want. Also sold as Tele-Raptar.

Similar lenses include Rodenstock Rotelar and Schneider Tele-Arton. Schneider info here: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...es/tele-arton/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took my first shots with my new-to-me Tele Arton 270mm the other day. Damn fine lens, nice and sharp even with HP5 in Rodinal.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the tele arton will probably not fit the pressman d due to its large rear element.
    The 10 inch tele raptar/optar will work fine.

Other lenses that will fit:
    210mm convertible symmar
    210mm sironar
    **the 210mm symmar-s will not fit, as the rear element too large.
    210mm g-claron
    240mm g-claron <-reccomended
    8" or 10" dagor should be fine if in a rapax shutter or ilex #3.(i think)

Also beware of wide lenses, the f8 90mm super angulon will barely fit, you can kinda angle the rear element in.
    But a f5.6 or f4.5 90mm wide will be way too big.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    the tele arton will probably not fit the pressman d due to its large rear element.
    Seeing as I've got it handy, thought I'd grab a ruler:
    The rear element of my 270/5.5 Tele-Arton is exactly 50mm outside diameter at the rear element, and 30mm from edge to lensboard.
    For comparison, my Symmar-S 180/5.6 is also 50mm diameter, but 20mm from edge to lensboard.
    And I know we weren't talking wide angles, but my 90.8 SuperAngulon is next to me and is 57mm diameter and 35mm deep from lensboard (wider apertures are going to be even bigger)

No idea about a pressman, don't have one...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darin, are you thinking of the 2x3 (Model C) or 4x5 (Model D) Pressman? I ask because the 4x5er has a 3" square board and according to Schneider the rear cell of a 270/5.5 Tele-Arton's OD is 51 mm. There should be plenty of room.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the low end of that range, a telephoto design might not be necessary, which would make movements a lot more realistic. What about a small non-tele lens in the 200-210mm range, something like the 203mm Ektar or 210mm G-Claron?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used the 210 Geronar on mine with complete satisfaction.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Darin, are you thinking of the 2x3 (Model C) or 4x5 (Model D) Pressman? I ask because the 4x5er has a 3" square board and according to Schneider the rear cell of a 270/5.5 Tele-Arton's OD is 51 mm. There should be plenty of room.
    If the rear element of the tele-arton is 51mm, it should be fine. It is not the size of the lensboard of the pressman D that is the problem, but the throat of the front standard where the rear element must fit inside.

From my notes, the maxium lens diameter that will fit is about 57mm.

Darin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    where did you find the OD of the rear cell? I was looking on their site and did not see it for the symmar s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin