Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,430   Online: 811

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Enjoy what you have. Keep saving you money and using 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you had a few more dollars and lived half-way around the world, this looks to be a decent deal: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...230551275.html

8x10 camera with two lenses - $900 (Commercial Dr.)

I am letting go of my 8x10 camera system. When I first got it, I planned to do a lot more work with it than I actually ever did and now it's pretty much just collecting dust. I would like it to go to a better home, where it will get used!

Included in the price is the following:

- Tachihara 8x10 Wooden field camera
    - 360mm Calumet Caltar f/5.6, w/ 110mm UV filter
    - 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar f/6.3
    - Majestic tripod with 6"x7" plate
    - 4 "MetalMaster" film holders
    - 4 plastic film holders
    - Red, Green, Yellow and Orange 72mm filters for the Kodak lens
    - POWERFIST bullet level
    - Loupe
    - Bi-Post to PC Sync cable for the Kodak lens
    - Shutter Release cable (only works with the Calumet lens)
    - Retractable measuring tape
    - Open package of 8x10 negative holders

Not shown in the pictures, but included is a rotary development film base, along with three film tanks - two which will hold two 8x10 negatives each, and one which holds just one 8x10 negative.

The camera works great - I even used it last month, but that was the first time in a year or so.

The price for this package is more than fair. Price is Firm.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow that looks like a great setup!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Wow $900 plus intercontinental shipping is a great deal for someone with only $300. ??????

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If you had a few more dollars and lived half-way around the world, this looks to be a decent deal: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...230551275.html

8x10 camera with two lenses - $900 (Commercial Dr.)

I am letting go of my 8x10 camera system. When I first got it, I planned to do a lot more work with it than I actually ever did and now it's pretty much just collecting dust. I would like it to go to a better home, where it will get used!

Included in the price is the following:

- Tachihara 8x10 Wooden field camera
    - 360mm Calumet Caltar f/5.6, w/ 110mm UV filter
    - 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar f/6.3
    - Majestic tripod with 6"x7" plate
    - 4 "MetalMaster" film holders
    - 4 plastic film holders
    - Red, Green, Yellow and Orange 72mm filters for the Kodak lens
    - POWERFIST bullet level
    - Loupe
    - Bi-Post to PC Sync cable for the Kodak lens
    - Shutter Release cable (only works with the Calumet lens)
    - Retractable measuring tape
    - Open package of 8x10 negative holders

Not shown in the pictures, but included is a rotary development film base, along with three film tanks - two which will hold two 8x10 negatives each, and one which holds just one 8x10 negative.

The camera works great - I even used it last month, but that was the first time in a year or so.

The price for this package is more than fair. Price is Firm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could be lucky though. I got my 8x10 set through an bankruptcy auctionsite. I paid $235,00 (€187,00) for a 8x10 Cambo with three backs, 300 mm lens, polaroid 8x10 holder, wide angle bags and then some all in a sturdy flightcase. It is possible but you need luck. You can also buy on e-bay a pinhole for roughly $200,00 if you don't feel like making your own.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Enjoy what you have. Keep saving you money and using 4x5.
    +1

An article about chasing magic bullets:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html

If you are sure you want to buy an 8x10, try before you buy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The OP hasn't weighed back in, but to me it seems like a very good reason for moving up from 4x5 is contact printing. I wouldn't categorize that as "magic bullet chasing" but as a rational choice of the right format for the job. I'm just speculating about their motivations, though.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    The OP hasn't weighed back in, but to me it seems like a very good reason for moving up from 4x5 is contact printing. I wouldn't categorize that as "magic bullet chasing" but as a rational choice of the right format for the job. I'm just speculating about their motivations, though.
    -NT
    Fair enough, I will only add that it is difficult to do contact prints on variable contrast paper without an enlarger. I have tried. You will benefit from using contact paper to do it without an enlarger. And if you have an enlarger, it opens up other avenues of getting a high quality 8x10 print, e.g. medium format. I'm just sharing my own experience here, ymmv

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl A View Post
    Fair enough, I will only add that it is difficult to do contact prints on variable contrast paper without an enlarger. I have tried. You will benefit from using contact paper to do it without an enlarger. And if you have an enlarger, it opens up other avenues of getting a high quality 8x10 print, e.g. medium format. I'm just sharing my own experience here, ymmv
    The reason I'm playing around with 8x10 right now is exactly this... I want to make contact prints from a larger negative, and my enlarger cannot use film larger than 6x9. But I'd like to mention that while I agree with you that having an enlarger is very convenient for making contact prints on VC paper, I had perfectly happy success doing it before I had an enlarger. I put a flashlight bulb in a soup can, with a pushbutton switch on a 6 foot cord and a filter holder below the can. Cobbled together in about ten minutes from junk lying around in my garage. I originally built it for pre-flashing paper negatives, but it worked great for making VC contact prints too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Wow $900 plus intercontinental shipping is a great deal for someone with only $300. ??????
    Looks like I confused a few people by linking to that Craigslist listing.

I was just trying to add some context to the discussion - give a sense about how geographically diverse the market might be.

I had two people actually pm me about "my" camera - I should have been way clearer that I was just linking to someone else's listing, and that that camera had nothing to do with me.

Sorry about the quite natural confusion.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin