Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,353   Online: 933

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I want to add some perspective to my situation here. I am by nature driven by new hobbies every few years. I think there is so much in this world to experience and so little time. I was into pet parrots and had been enrolled in course called LLP (living and learning with parrots from USA). But when my first daughter was born my wife wanted a camera, so we sold the cockatoo we had and bought a sony cyber shot (you can see my insight in cams at that time). After a few years the camera stopped working and I took it to the shop, there I saw these cameras with zoom lenses, and was fascinated. I finally saved some money for the zoom lens camera but when I went to buy it the camera was sold. The shopkeeper told me to go to another outlet, I went there and the salesman at the shop introduced DSLR concept to me and the sensor thing. To cut the long story shot from a 200 dollar camera I went on to buy a D700 and was amazed by the sensor quality and was enjoying the beautiful pics by that time we had a son so the pics were a lot of fun. But then again we had built our house and the loan was mounting and again my camera had to go.

I could not afford a good camera anytime soon, so one day I was surfing the web and came across the famous Ken Rockwell article on large format. What I learnt from his site that it is possible to shoot better pictures than any DSLR at a fraction of a cost, and that was the start of all this. I made a mistake in the beginning because I did not research much and thought that it would not be possible for me to start with a view camera because I thought it would be too complicated to handle considering I had to learn processing and printing. So I bought the Razzel 900 which is a very good camera and I thought I would upgrade once I have got some understanding of the process and see if it would be possible to process my own film in Pakistan, there were too May things where will I get the film from, the chemicals etc etc. but unfortunately before I could upgrade I lost my job and have been trying to setup my own business since the last two years. Business Is picking up and I am hopeful that I will be able to buy a decent camera soon.

I am not that fixed on a 8x10 but was thinking that if I can get a used good wooden camera with a 4x5 reducing back then I will not have to keep looking For cameras sand start some serious shooting. I keep looking for 4x5 and 8x10 whichever deals comes through first. Hopefully I will be able to raise some money soon and will start the process.

All said, I really appreciate the interest you people take in a situation that does not relate to you. And sorry for the long story, it's just that whatever I do I like to have a deeper understanding of it, otherwise the cyber shot was so easy.

Just to add, I am quite keen on Sinar P for 4x5 but I am not sure how convenient it would be to move around. Like I live in a closed community setup where we all brothers and sisters have houses next to each other and most of the family portraits are in the neighbourhood. Would be possible to carry a Sinar P to another house and set it up without getting comments like what on earth are you trying to do. A folding camera seems to suit this purpose more, but there is no way to try it out here since there are none available. We sister in law owns a cafe and there is a lot of requirement of table top photography and I think a Sinar would be ideal for that. So I guess too May thoughts and not much budget - but I guess I reach there someday.

Cheers

Raffay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Raffay,

Thanks for the additional background. I can only speak for myself but I rather enjoyed reading the full story. I wasn't familiar with the Razzle cameras but they seem like an outstanding idea.

I gather you have working procedures already for processing the 4x5 film, so the step to 8x10 will not be enormous---the larger sheets can be more challenging to handle, and you use more chemistry, of course. If you have process issues still to work out, it'll be easier and cheaper to work on them in the smaller format.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffay View Post
    All said, I really appreciate the interest you people take in a situation that does not relate to you.
    I think we all recognize the situation of wanting to expand to a new format, even if some aspects of the environment are unfamiliar.

Unless I missed something, you haven't said what you hope to gain from moving to 8x10; is it about contact printing, the ability to use x-ray film...? For formal portrait uses, I think the 8x10 workflow with contact printing is just about perfect. But you do have to find an appropriate lens---pinhole exposures for portraiture are pretty challenging. But if you're finishing in digital, the advantages of 8x10 over 4x5 may not be so large.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi raffay

good luck with your search, and dont forget sometimes x ray film is 2 sided ( emulsion on both sides )
    so it may load up and kill your fixer prematurely. xray film i had many years ago had a bumpy texture to it, and some have a funky layer you need to remove,
    not sure if the ones you plan to use others do or not. are you hoping to make contact prints or skkan the images?

for another trick up your sleeve, you might also consider paper negatives ... photopaper doesn't kill the fix as fast, some have the same or similar looks as xray film
    rc papers these days have a long lifespan and are thin compared to fiber paper so they are easy to print through. either way paper prints easy, no funky layer or stipple texture ( well depending on what you use ). and like xray film photo paper is slow and is processed i a safelight.

have fun

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 12-10-2013 at 05:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Edit: I also recall that you were struggling to get enough light for your 4x5 portraits. 8x10 makes it four times (two stops) worse!
    Am I misunderstanding this?
    If my 4x5 camera needs 1/60 at f11 I would need to use 1/60 at f5.6 on an 8x10 assuming the same lighting?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    Am I misunderstanding this?
    If my 4x5 camera needs 1/60 at f11 I would need to use 1/60 at f5.6 on an 8x10 assuming the same lighting?
    It's not quite that bad.

To get the same DOF on 8x10 as on 4x5, you need to stop down 2 more stops. So if you can hit 1/60 f/11 on 4x5 then you can use exactly the same exposure for your 8x10, but your DOF will be approximately halved because the lens is 2x longer for the same field of view (480mm instead of 240mm, for example). You would need 1/15 f/22 to make the same photo, and suddenly you're in the realm of subject motion.

While f/5.6 plasmats are very cheap and commonly available for 4x5, the affordable lenses for 8x10 are often f/9 process lenses so you maybe can't shoot at f/5.6 even if you wanted to. A 240/5.6 is a reasonable portrait lens to shoot on 4x5, but there is no such thing as a 480/5.6. You can buy a range of 450-480mm lenses around f/9 to f/12.5 but they are either huge and expensive (112mm filters, 2kg+, $thousands) or they have tiny apertures.

As I recall from posts on LFPF, Raffay was having issues with exposures being about 1-2s with his lens wide open, which was causing softness in portraits taken in nice shade. This was my main reason for recommending that he get hold of some artificial light. 8x10 will just make those problems worse, especially if he is forced (for price reasons) to shoot xray film which is about 3 or 4 stops slower than what you can easily achieve with HP5 or TMY2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Polyglot for the clarification.
    DOF didn't even dawn on me, I was only thinking about exposure.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How would you rate this deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350939661275...84.m1423.l2661

After reading all the comments I think it would be wise to get more experience in 4x5 before jumping to 8x10.

Cheers

Raffay

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffay View Post
    How would you rate this deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350939661275...84.m1423.l2661

After reading all the comments I think it would be wise to get more experience in 4x5 before jumping to 8x10.

Cheers

Raffay

This would be a far superior outfit, for less money too.

eBay item number: 121231290457

If you want a 4x5 view camera MPP in good condition takes some beating.

RR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $_12.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    This would be a far superior outfit, for less money too.

eBay item number: 121231290457

If you want a 4x5 view camera MPP in good condition takes some beating.

RR
    What is MPP?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An English camera maker, Micro Precision Products, which flourished for a while and made very high quality cameras and other equipment.

There is a healthy user group and just about anything can be obtained or made to keep your camera operational.

Here is the website: http://www.mppusers.com/

RR

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin