Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,093   Online: 900

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

8x10 on a Budget

Hello All,

I am trying to get into 8x10 but have only 300 dollars saved till now. I want to know if there is a cheaper option to enter rather than waiting to save a lot of money for the likes of Deardorff etc. I thought film cameras would be cheaper to get, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case.

Cheers

Raffay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just keep scoping fleabay. Something will open up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    By and large film cameras are less expensive than they used to be. However, you are talking about 8x10. 4x5 would be tough at 300.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Like Tom says, keep watching Ebay. I have seen 8x10 cameras sell that low here in the U.S. but of course they were the less desirable models. I don't know what shipping would cost you though.

Just beware that lenses for 8x10 can be higher in price over 4x5, especially long lenses and wide angles. Film holders and film are more expensive. You may need a stronger tripod.

Good luck to you. Shooting 8x10 is a lot of fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Raffay, you need: Lens, camera, at least one filmholder, camera support, film and a place to process it.

$300 will get you (with luck) a camera or a lens.
    But here's what you could do - get a lens, and then get an 8x10 GG back. Make two boxes of 1/4" plywood so one slides into the other - mount the GG back on the bigger box, the lens on the box which slides inside, use some velvet to keep the light outside and/or make some baffles. You now have a focuseable boxcamera, put four rubber pads on it (like an old Deardorff V8) and a table can be the support.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As others have said, 8x10 at that price is going to be challenging. I have *no* idea what is and isn't available in Pakistan, though---in the States the cheapest options are the many early-20th-century wood cameras by American manufacturers (Eastman, Seneca, and so on), and I suppose you could buy internationally, but they're bulky and heavy and shipping will be a nasty additional expense.

I find that lenses actually aren't too bad. My go-to lenses are a 215/4.8 Ilex Acuton, for which I think I paid about $100 in shutter on eBay, and a 270mm G-Claron. Older and theoretically-inferior lenses work just fine in larger formats---I suppose you're familiar with this from 4x5, and it only gets more so as the size goes up.

Film holders sometimes go cheaply on here or from used equipment dealers, but they're still a whole lot more expensive than 4x5 holders.

X-ray film is a cheap option for experimental shooting; most people wouldn't want to use it as their primary medium for serious work.

Tripod stability becomes a big deal. Again, I don't know what's available in Pakistan, but here it's not too hard to find BIG heavy (inconvenient) tripods for cheap from private sellers; my Majestic cost me US$50 (thanks to a fellow member here who found it for me), and it will hold anything, but you need a team of mules to move the tripod itself from place to place!

These costs add up, so it doesn't take much to exceed US$300. You may end up needing to buy piece by piece over time.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    oops, didn't notice the guy is in Pakistan. I don't suppose they're exactly flooded with 8x10 gear over there. GL

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Are you good building things? Many have started with pin hole cameras, either wood kits or cardboard. You don't pay for a lens or a camera. The field of view or angle of the view depends on the size of the hole and how far back the film or printing paper is.

When I took a Photo 1 course in college I made a pin hole camera of a 12 quart oil carton. We laughed because it had a zoom feature. The lens or pin hole was fixed, but the printing paper was held in place by a sliding mechanism. The further I slid it back from the pin hole, the wider the angle. You can also make one using an 8x10 film holder and a fixed pinhole.

A good place to start learning, if you are interested, is http://www.f295.org/main/forum.php.

Good luck.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

X-ray film is a cheap option for experimental shooting; most people wouldn't want to use it as their primary medium for serious work.
    Most people who use x-ray film use it for serious work. I do. Double and single-sided. It has a different look and makes a great film for carbon transfer work. Some people have made beautiful portraits with it (not me!). But you are right as far as it being a cheap option!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can also buy the camera, and just make a pinhole "lens" for it until you can afford one with glass in it.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin