Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,253   Online: 766

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tripod for Graphic View II

Well, I've been taking 35mm and MF photos a long time, but I just took the plunge and ordered a GV II kit.

Pretty excited, right now.

But alas, I need a tri-pod for it.

You all probably know that it's mounted on a rail that has its own tilt handle but no pan, ah, handle.

Can someone recommend a good tri-pod that will allow me to have full movement?

Shooter
    Large Format
    A good ole' dependable rock solid and cheap to buy Leitz Tiltall. As good as any tripod needs to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Well, I've been taking 35mm and MF photos a long time, but I just took the plunge and ordered a GV II kit.

Pretty excited, right now.

But alas, I need a tri-pod for it.

You all probably know that it's mounted on a rail that has its own tilt handle but no pan, ah, handle.

Can someone recommend a good tri-pod that will allow me to have full movement?
    You don't need a pan handle, those are for movie cameras...
    Get a Tiltall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    A good ole' dependable rock solid and cheap to buy Leitz Tiltall. As good as any tripod needs to be.
    Unless you have a Deardorff V8...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've got my Horseman 8x10 with the big L arms sitting atop my Tiltall. It works, although with any rough treatment at all it would probably snap off like a dead twig. But for a 4x5 like a Graphic or a Calumet, the Tiltall is more than enough tripod for the job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My B&J 4x5 Grover sits on a Tiltall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Sounds like Tiltall would be a good choice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Sounds like Tiltall would be a good choice!
    Just get the original, the Marchioni version - not that Leitz knockoff!

Don't worry about getting an old one, they're durable. A classic, functional design - and you can get parts for any of them.
    http://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com/p...l-support.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got up this morning feeling contrary and after a stint of yard work -- she who must be obeyed decreed that we'd clean up the side beds -- I'm feeling more so. And I have an all-metal Star-D imitation Tiltall in the closet. Haven't used it for years, and there are reasons why.

On the one hand, Tiltalls have an integral three-axis head. To my tastes a three-axis head is much preferable to a ball head. Score one for the Tiltall.

On the other hand, and this may not be true of real Tiltalls (Marchioni or Leitz N.Y.), clamping the Star D's head tight shifts the point of aim a tiny bit. This is tolerable with short lenses, wasn't tolerable with my Questar 700 or with long (for the format) lens on a cine camera. So here's a possible (great stress possible) Tiltall weak point.

The legs have short bearing surfaces between the sections, so the tripod isn't particularly stiff in torsion. This is inherent in the design. I retired the Star-D, replaced it with a Bogen 3221 to be able to use a fluid head with my cine cameras. Cam type leg locks, same short bearing surfaces and poor torsional stiffness, especially when old. I once visited B&H and swung from every tripod on the floor. Only a very expensive and huge Gitzo had good stiffness in torsion. Only one!

I now use a Berlebach 8043 and an ancient Ries. These have much longer bearing surfaces between the sections, are much steadier than tripods with screw type leg locks.

The Graphic View II has an integral pan-tilt head. Leveling the camera is more difficult when it isn't on a three-axis head, requires adjusting the legs. I use a ball leveler (learned about them when learning film, still photographers tend not to see their virtues) between three-axis head and the tripod's platform to level my cameras.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just get a head that supports the Arca Swiss dovetail plates. The clamps will grab hold of the triangular rail of the GVII. Years ago I bought a GVII with a small clamp designed to replace the tripod head (lets you mount on regular head). Recently I found it fit just fine on my Acratech ball head without the custom clamp.
    Last edited by L Gebhardt; 12-05-2013 at 08:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin