Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,168   Online: 823

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 devoloping

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    I think this might be a myth. I just did a search for "Paterson Orbital" on eBay and two came up. £120? Is that expensive? They save you from damaged negatives. They allow you to use stand and semi-stand agitation regimes. Since I modified mine to suit film as well as paper I've been delighted with the results. Certainly paid me back handsomely...

RR
    Since the last thread about 4X5 options came up some weeks ago there has been one listed this is the same one that has been listed. A history search shows they are fairly rare and come up about 1-2 times a month, mostly in the UK/Europe.
    235$ including shipping to the US is expensive, when there are several cheaper (40-70% less) various other locally available, currently being produced options that require no modifications and also offer other benefits such as modular systems or roll film processing capability.

While the orbital might be a good tool, and works for you with these mods, it is infact quite a rarity, which is not say its not good only thats its not the easiest to find.

That said, there have already been numerous APUG and LFPF threads about this with extensive info and opinions in the matter spanning hundreds of posts.... perhaps there should bea sticky about this to consolidate all that has already been said any number of times...
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good Idea!

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in Corpus Christi and understand the problem with buying film/chemistry/paper locally. Toilet paper is about the only locally available type. That being said Holland Photo in Austin and A-Z labs in Houston both still do film. DIY B&W processing can be done relatively easily. I use a MOD54 film holder and Patterson tank. I do have three enlargers capable of enlarging 4X5 film in my darkroom and an Epson V700 scanner that does a good job of scaning film. It isn't rocket science. Buy my film and chemistry from B&H. Good luck. Get dark . . . get wet. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dwight, how many sheets will you be processing at a time? 1, 3, 6, 417? There are a lot of ways to process film, some are cheap, some aren't.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I use a MOD54 film holder and Patterson tank.
    I also use the MOD54. Its really easy to use (take a little practice to load it correctly but after that its fine). It holds 6 sheets of 4x5 and uses 1 liter of chemicals. The key to using it is not to aggetate it too much, it can give you uneven development. Oh and pre-soak the film. I love it and recommend it, however others have had different results. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ighlight=mod54 and search for MOD54, you can find lots of people that love it (me) and others that hate it.

Paul
    Paul Ward
    Calumet C-1 Green Monster
    Toyo 45CF
    Durst 184 Enlarger
    www.jpaulsenward.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't have any experience with this (yet), but I have been thinking about this and I thought I would share my idea.

The problem I have is that my enlarger can only stretch up to medium format at most, and my scanner only to 35mm. So my idea was to make contact prints and then scan them in. I am not sure what the quality would be (I am sure they would be of lower quality than a pure scan) but it is probably the cheapest way of doing it for me.

If you do not care as much about bleeding edge quality, and already have a 4x5, you could probably give this a try without it costing you anything (except developing of course).

EDIT:

Just found this website on Google, apparently these photos are contact prints (although from 8x10). All I will say is that the quality is more than good enough for me!
    SOURCE: http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00Dxpk

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    4X5 enlargers are a dime a dozen, or in many cases they are 100% free!
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm confused as to what you mean by "stretch up to medium format". You mean the height, or the film holder?

And if there are any of these free 4x5 enlargers laying around, I'd sure like to get my hands on one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    And if there are any of these free 4x5 enlargers laying around, I'd sure like to get my hands on one.
    That makes 2 of us!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    I'm in Memphis and actually have a Beseler MCRX to give away to a good home. It could use some cleaning up and TLC, but it works just fine.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin