Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,585   Posts: 1,545,808   Online: 1117

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 devoloping

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I too have a spare 4x5 enlarger, an older Omega D2, in storage that I'd happily give to somebody who would use it. I bought a newer Omega D2-V some years ago and the old one has been in storage since.

As for how to develop 4x5 film, I recommend doing them one at a time in the Paterson system 4 tank - no hair toys needed - just make sure to use the center column and put the film in the tank emulsion side in. Save and search for a Jobo expert drum and a unicolor motor base..it is very well worth the expense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up my Beseler 45MXT from the Salvation Army for $30.00. Came with negative carriers, 50mm lens, and a paper safe. It needs a good cleaning, but other than that is was a steal. Deals are to be had if you keep your eyes open..

For 4x5 developing I use the Yankee tank. Most people seem to hate them but mine works great for me. Maybe I am doing it wrong enough to be right....

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/4945-Y...eveloping-Tank
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SRT-102 | XD-5 | XD-11 | XE-7 | Hi-Matic 9 | Hi-Matic 11 | Sears 35RF | Minolta 5D | Sony A300 | Mamiya C220 | Bronica SQ-a | Yashica YK | Minolta Maxxum 7000 | Pentax K1000 | Speed Graphic 23

http://blisslars.tumblr.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I too have a spare 4x5 enlarger, an older Omega D2, in storage that I'd happily give to somebody who would use it. I bought a newer Omega D2-V some years ago and the old one has been in storage since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    I'm in Memphis and actually have a Beseler MCRX to give away to a good home. It could use some cleaning up and TLC, but it works just fine.
    You guys are awesome to make such offers. I'm sure someone will be grateful for the chance. I'm located in Germany, so it's not for me. I hope someone will give them a great home and lots of use!

Quote Originally Posted by donkee View Post
    I picked up my Beseler 45MXT from the Salvation Army for $30.00. Came with negative carriers, 50mm lens, and a paper safe. It needs a good cleaning, but other than that is was a steal. Deals are to be had if you keep your eyes open..
    I'm looking around at our flea markets and thrift shops. Apparently there wasn't much large format enlarging done by private folks in our area. It seems there wasn't a lot of large format in general, at least in the last 30 years or so. There's still some old timers in business, and a couple shops in the bigger cities where something may crop up, so there's always hope!

Thanks for the advice and offers, whoever they're intended for, it shows what a great group APUG is!

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I may take you up on that offer!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Before our move to Chicago we left 5-6 4X5 enlargers and gear for curb pickup, check your local craigslist and you will find many many of those just aching not to get dumped in the recycling....
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Before our move to Chicago we left 5-6 4X5 enlargers and gear for curb pickup, check your local craigslist and you will find many many of those just aching not to get dumped in the recycling....
    Chicago! You moved to someplace colder than Boston!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can also use a Beseler 8x10 print drum and an agitator base. You can process (4) 4x5 sheets. It uses very little chemistry. You have to pre-wet your film first.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    I've been kicking around getting into 4x5 and after 6 months of checking the local craigslist have never once seen an enlarger there. We live in the absolute sticks I swear. The closest I've seen enlargers advertised is a 4 hour drive each way and most of the ones for 4x5 or larger they want anywhere from $500-2000 for. Several of the Beseler 23C II's for reasonable prices at any given time which isn't much help, but that's a long way to drive to find out somethings it's junk.

Is it possible to scan a 4x5 contact print and enlarge to have commercially printed? Or would the quality be questionable?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have use Yankee tanks since 1973 works great.
    I only know one thing some does not like is do not turn them over, and lid can come off. Ther are easy to load and use. I do put a rubber band on the tank so lid does not come off.
    Getting a 4x5 enlarger is more luck I found one on craigslist free to pick up. I also gave my old away 15 years think I would never be in the film again. I will say on never come faster that may or may not.

Good luck and happy new year
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by donkee View Post

For 4x5 developing I use the Yankee tank. Most people seem to hate them but mine works great for me. Maybe I am doing it wrong enough to be right....

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/4945-Y...eveloping-Tank

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blooze View Post
    I've been kicking around getting into 4x5 and after 6 months of checking the local craigslist have never once seen an enlarger there. We live in the absolute sticks I swear. The closest I've seen enlargers advertised is a 4 hour drive each way and most of the ones for 4x5 or larger they want anywhere from $500-2000 for. Several of the Beseler 23C II's for reasonable prices at any given time which isn't much help, but that's a long way to drive to find out somethings it's junk.
    You should look at big city CL's. I cant say how many times poeple have tried to make us take their enlargers. Not for money, just so they dont have to deal with taking it out to the dump themselves.... You should just post a wanted ad on the local freecycle or CL and see whats happens. While there are plenty of LF enlargers our there worth a 1500$ or other hefty sum investment, a first, basic 4X5 enlarger shouldent cost much. That said, they often do not include all you will need such as carriers or lenses, but its a good start. Once you decide if you want to move up then you can look at some nicer Ebay listings for nicer enlargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blooze View Post
    Is it possible to scan a 4x5 contact print and enlarge to have commercially printed? Or would the quality be questionable?
    While technically this can be done, and some might subjectively feel its an OK thing, you cannot really scan a contact and make a viable large print out of it.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin